Thread: TJ 33" Spare Mounting Question

Default TJ 33" Spare Mounting Question

Hi All,

Does anyone know if a 33 x 12.5" x 15 spare can be fitted to my TJ tailgate and how? Has anyone here done it with success without a whole new rear bar and spare carrier?

Cheers,

Nev

Visitor

Hi Nev'nAnna, as a quick fix you can use a spare tyre relocation bracket. It'll bolt on the existing tyre carrier and push the larger tyre slightly upwards and further away from the tailgate - this will help to clear the rear bumper. In addition, if you have the third brake light, you'll have to place some spacers under it so that won't be covered by the tyre. You'll just need to raise it maybe 2-3 cm. For this you just need longer bolts and some washers or whatever you come up with.

An example of the tyre carrier adapter:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-CJ-W...R3lD93Eax4VGoQ

Some tyre shops that sell 4x4 tyres can supply these adapters or can make them for you. Any metal fabrication shop could/should be able to make one. Our club sponsors maybe... ?

hope that helps

Hi Nev'nAnna. As Easy mentioned you will need a spare tyre bracket that moves the tyre out and up. This is what's on mine currently. The 3rd brake light has been removed from my TJ. Not my choice, it's how I purchased the car. Bear in mind a 33" tyre on a steel wheel is much heavier than a standard item and my cause the hinges on the tailgate to sag or fatigue. I can definatley feel the weight on my rear door. If I had the choice I'd get a spare tyre carrier, but it's unfortunatley out of my budget at the moment. Just one other thing, if the number plate is in the centre of the rear bar, you might find the spare may partially obscure it which may bring you unstuck with the law. Mine was like this, although I never got into any trouble, when I replaced the rear bar, I moved the number plate to the centre of the spare wheel
    Last edited by Elio S; 18-10-16 at 09:15 AM.
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Thanks very much for your responses Easy77 and Elio! Yeh I reckon Im going to need to make do with a bracket and put it on the tailgate for now. There's lots of opinions for and against in various forums so Im keen to meet someone in the flesh or at least local thats done it. I really like your rig Elio, looks tough hope to meet you in person sometime in a run or whatever and see it in full!

Hey Nev'nAnna,

I need to make one for myself, if you wanted to I could make 2. I am just going to make it with some extra steel I have around the house, so it might not be as pretty as the one from ebay, I need to make a spacer for the light as well.