Thread: TJ to JK

Default TJ to JK

Hi All,

We're currently looking at selling our much loved TJ, and moving into a newer Auto JK.

Looking around, it appears we'd be buying either a Sport or a Rubicon SWB or a sport LWB. would be a low km used Pentastar, rather than new.

Drawn to the LWB as its different to what we are used to, plus the upgraded towing capacity over the SWB which is handy. Downside is turning circle, plus they really need to be on 35's to look the part, plus they are heavier etc etc. That said My partner would prefer another SWB as she likes its nippiness around town.

Questions:

Would a Rubicon cope with say 33''s without ring and pinion alterations better than a sport?

At what point are people getting engineering done? Not looking to go huge, maybe 2" lift.

Yes easily, I just re-geared my JK Sport to 4.11s with 33s, and thats what Rubicons are standard, in the states they come standard with 255 75 17s, which is 33" give or take. Cheers Doggy. A 3.6 Sport auto is geared at 3.73 to 1 will handle 33s with no problem.
    Last edited by dobbo56; 09-11-16 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks for that ....decisions

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Generally the view is 33" with 2" lift is legal on a JK. Technical detail gets confusing, I'd get a consult from a certifier to make sure.

Chat to Steve Foster who has that rig and is happy re legals.

PS: we stayed with stock Ruby gearing 4.1 with our 35" for ages. Works fine. Didnt bother changing until I destroyed a diff and thought we may as well change the gearing. Love my new rock crawling gears!

but 4.1 and 33" should be fine.
    Last edited by Dru; 09-11-16 at 05:35 PM.

Good to hear that. It's sounding as if hunting down a Rubicon might be worthwhile.

Mine is 2" (a touch more) with 285/70/17 (33's). Has stock Rubi gearing etc.

Legalities are not really an issue as it's so close to legal with factory wheels and offset etc and minimal lift that the police wont bother you at all. It'll also go 99% of the places I want to take it

As an aside mine is a 2009 and the door sticker for tyres says 255/75/17 which I think means the 285/70/17 is in the legal size limit The 255 was only on the late 2008 early 2009 then they went smaller to try to solve death wobble issues (245/75/17)

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 09-11-16 at 11:29 PM.
    Public Officer - Member #076

Thanks Steve, seeing as you've gone from a lwb XJ to short. Are you happy with the move?

Yep, but I do have a trailer now for the family trips, for weekend fun the shortie is a better option, less lift needed to get over stuff, easier to maneuver and really as wrangler is meant to have two doors The longer wheelbase has some advantages, mostly on climbs with steps in them, doesn't get so dodgy but I can live with that. 2 door is lighter, runs the same running gear and in my opinion is a better option off road if the mod list is smaller. Rubi 2 door should, in theory, be the toughest of all due to strongest running gear and lower weight than 4 door.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076