Thread: TJ 6spd gearbox info

Hey all,

Does anyone know a place that might have a second hand gearbox for a TJ? I have called around a lot and haven't found one yet

I have a TJ with a funny gearbox (nsg370) it's grinds going into 3rd because of the synchro. I have been working my way around this by speed matching my shifting mostly so I can delay the inevitable which has lasted close to a year and I could probably make it last another year. But it's probably going to die on me at the most inconvenient time.

A rebuild or new one costs ~$3-4k

I have found a cheap JK but the bell housings are different, however the internals should be the same but I don't have all the tools to do my own rebuild.

Any help is appreciated.

PS tried to delete this post and move it to Technicals but I cant
    Last edited by technickster; 24-10-16 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by technickster View Post

I have found a cheap JK but the bell housings are different, however the internals should be the same but I don't have all the tools to do my own rebuild.

PS
    I have never really looked at one up close, but can't the bell housing be removed and swapped over from one box to the next. I have done this with other makes and models in the past.
    PS you would want to make sure the box is identical in every other way, eg input shaft , output shaft, length etc
    Last edited by Elio S; 27-10-16 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added info
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

IMHO better off swapping in a 5spd from earlier TJ.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Visitor

Yep Wooders is right, swap it for a 5speed from an earlier model TJ.

Cool thanks, 5 speed I think it is. Just got to find a goody

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Nick, Wooders is "Mr TJ" (among other things).

Wooders, anything particular to look for in an earlier 5 speed? Any tips for a good one?

I haven't had any problems with my 6 speed (yet) but have been searching online for rebuild kits, synchro's etc in case I need to rebuild mine one day. So far I've come up with zip. I've found complete boxes but they're up there in the thousands, so I have to agree with Wooders, if mine dies I'll either go a 5 speed or auto conversion (as I'm getting to be a lazy driver now I'm getting older lol)
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle