Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cape York Sept / Oct 2017

Quote Originally Posted by uncaged123 View Post
    Hi Dave, please change me to a definate starter. Personal issue are improving and allowing me availibilty to get back out on the track again.

Cheers Rob
    Ok, done. "And then we were 10!"

Thanks Rob
    Last edited by Dave; 09-02-17 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Brilliant! As long as the trailer can handle corrugations you should be fine! We had an Ultimate Camper in the convoy in 2011 in it had no probs - although the owner was in charge of nibbles most night so...

Dave
    It did bend the hitch on the tow vehicle a bit though, I remember someone mentioned it to him at a stop that it happened to them and sure enough it was bent as well, those corrugations were vehicle killers. It was a very comfy place to hang out with nibbles and a glass of wine though, before descending the stairs back to the masses and cracking a XXXX

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Hi All,

I had a lengthy phone conversation with Qld National Parks two weeks ago. They do require all camping booked in advance and I had the person talk me through the process.

We only spend 3 nights total in National Park campsites, in three different places. Booking can only be done online and is pretty confusing. It will be much easier for me (one person) to do all the bookings at the same time, and soon, so we can all camp together and we don't miss out.

So at the March meeting next week I will have a Registration Form asking for the names of everyone coming, the Regos of all cars and whether you will have a tent or trailer. And I will ask for $20 per person (each night is $6.15 per person). Then I will go in and book each site - and each site booking needs the specific car rego and names... It will be a non-refundable deposit as cancelling is even harder than booking...

It is an annoying system, no other State has anything like this, but it has to be done.

If people can't attend the meeting, I will email. If you confirm that you are coming with a rego form by return email, I will book and collect money later.

There will be more bookings to make, but less urgent or difficult than these ones, eg tours to TI and Horn Island, Undara, and some of the caravan parks may want bookings up front. I will get this info around after I make lots of phone calls in April so individuals can take care of anything that they want / need...

Hope to see you next week!
    Dave

Hi All,

At the March Club Meeting I asked everyone who is definitely coming to the Cape in Sept/Oct to fill out a Registration Form – Names, Addresses, Car Rego, Contacts – so I can start making bookings.

I have registered myself with Qld National Parks so I can book the three camp sites that we will use on the trip – Kalpowar Crossing, Eliot Falls and Chilli Beach. These areas can get booked out and I wanted to get in really early so we don’t miss out.

Qld Nat Parks requires all the above info, plus money up front, to make bookings. So on Wednesday I also asked for $20 per person coming on the trip so I can make those bookings. This will be a non refundable deposit, as it is just as hard to cancel a booking as it is to make it! It costs $6.15 per person per night x 3 nights = $18.45 so I’ll owe everyone an ice block or something

I have emailed the Registration Form to everyone. If you didn't get the email please get in touch ASAP as I may not have your correct address.

If you filled out a form and gave me your $20 at the meeting you can ignore this message as I have all I need.
    If you have not given me a rego form, please fill out and email back to me. I will need your $20 per person, but if I get your rego form back then I will take it as a guarantee that you are coming, I will pay for the Nat Park camps for you, and we will sort out money later.

If I do not hear back from you by next weekend (11 March) then I will put you back on the Maybe list and only book for those I have heard from. I hope that sounds fair.
    If I have to make separate bookings at a later time I can’t guarantee that we will all be camping together, or if there will be space available... but I will do my best.

There will be more things to book and more info that I will get from you, that I will let everyone know about in a month or two – if we are convoying North together from Sydney or not, where we will meet if not in Cairns, accommodation in Cairns etc...

And it’s only 6 months and two weeks until we get on the road North from Sydney!!! Can’t wait!!!

Any questions, please get in touch.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 25-05-17 at 11:54 PM.

Just an update, have heard back from all of the definites except RobS. Unfortunately Jose has had to drop out, he is too busy with the new business - pity Dapto isn't on the way North

So, am getting on with booking National Park camping for 8 Jeeps, 3 with trailers!

Much more fun than ironing haha!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 30-04-17 at 10:12 AM.

Another update, and perhaps reassurance...

When we went to the Cape in 2011 we went up after Cyclone Yasi. There were still repairs going on to roads etc in September 2011, especially in the Whitsunday area, it did not affect our trip at all, and Debbie won't either. My thoughts go out to the North Queenslanders and I hope they will recover quickly. And we will be doing our part in a small way by bringing a bit more tourism to the area.

As I said I would last meeting, I have booked and paid for all of the National Parks camping, which had to get done promptly as spaces are limited. I have booked for 8 Jeeps, as I heard back from everyone with numbers, names and vehicle regos, except RobS who is moved back to maybe.

Rob, if you see this post (and the previous posts, and the two emails, and the personal message I have sent in the last month) and you still wish to come, please reply to one of my emails with your details ASAP so I can make an extra booking. If you do not intend to come along in September, please let me know.

If any of the Maybes have decided that they will definitely come, please let me know ASAP.

Definites
    1 DaveG – Booked - Tent
    2 EddyG – Booked - Tent
    3 Wayne & Julie – Booked- Tent
    4 Adrian – Booked - Roof Top Tent
    5 Danny & Sharon – Booked- Roof Top Tent
    6 Kevin, Rhonda & Sarah - Booked - Camper Trailer
    7 GregD (and Tristan for the return South) - Booked - Tent

Six Months TONIGHT and we are camping at Eliot Falls, enjoying the swimming, on the Old Telegraph Track! Getting closer

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 18-08-17 at 12:56 PM.

A brief update - we are back to 9 Jeeps and 15 people. GregD is coming along too, he emailed me from Apollo Bay last night. I was there three weeks ago, so we are both doing an eastern Aust South to North extremes year!

I have adjusted our National Parks bookings for an extra person and vehicle and am booking at other places too. I went to the Supershow at Rosehill on Tuesday and booked our 4 nights in Seisia (at the Tip) in person with the manager who was there. I have reserved sites everywhere that doesn't need money up front, paid to reserve our spots in Cooktown. I have also contacted Peddells Ferrys about tours out to Thursday Island and Undara tours as well. Waiting to hear back.

I should have a good list of stuff that I can't organise - individual preference bookings - at the June meeting.

By my reckoning it is 20 weeks until I hit the road heading North. Getting closer

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 02-05-17 at 09:45 AM.

Hi All,

I chatted with a few of us at the May Club Meeting last week and said I would get more details for reservations and other stuff for Cape York out soon, and I have emailed everyone. I will bring printed copies to the June Meeting in case the email doesn’t work...

I sent a PDF with more information including bookings that I have made for all of us, and things that I can’t book for everyone More Stuff that you need to know.

Eddy, Adrian, Greg and I are going to convoy up to Cairns together from Sydney – Greg will meet us at our first camp north of the border. If anyone else wants to convoy up with us let me know ASAP and I can add to our reservations.

Everyone else needs to decide whether they will meet me in Cairns – in which case you need to book for yourselves in Cairns. Or if you would prefer to meet us in Daintree Village, we will get there on Saturday 23 Sept and leave from there on the CREB Track (if it isn’t too wet) on Sunday morning 24 Sept.

I have also booked the Two Island Tour of Thursday and Horn Islands on 2 October (everyone ticked the box on the Rego Form). It isn’t cheap but it is very good and everything is in with the price including lunch. We all need to contact Peddells Ferries at the end of August / beginning of September to confirm and pay for the tour. I will remind everyone at the beginning of September.

I have also received from Undara a letter for each of us with booking details for camping on 8 and 9 October, and Tours on Monday 9 October. I have booked the 10.30am Active Explorer $58 and the 5pm Wildlife at Sunset tour $60 which includes wine and nibbles! The details of the tours are in the email.

I think that’s everything for now. All other camping is organised, but no other payments until we get there – all those details I have listed in the email.

Please let me know if you have any questions or any changes! Oh and I did hear from RobS to withdraw from the trip. I will close off the "maybes" after the June meeting - so if anyone else is interested...?

Just over 4 months until we hit the road!!

Dave

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Hi Dave.

Thought I'd formalise things after our phone call but unfortunately We are not able to make this one. Very jealous and hope you have a fantastic trip.

Dru

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Hi Dave.

Thought I'd formalise things after our phone call but unfortunately We are not able to make this one. Very jealous and hope you have a fantastic trip.

Dru
    Thanks Dru, didn't get to the computer last night, so making adjustments now. It is a pity you can't make it this year, but it sounds like you have some pretty exciting and busy things going on.

Unfortunately we are down to 8 Jeeps again...

To ANYONE out there who might be tempted, we have a spare spot and spare campsites already booked and reserved. If anyone is interested, please let me know ASAP. I will have to let our various destinations know that we are down a Jeep soon, ish...

If anyone would like more info, please send me a PM with your email, so I can send all the info to you, or I will have paper copies at the club meeting on June 7th. I was planning to close off the trip list after that meeting anyway - less than 4 months until we head off!

Thanks,
    Dave