Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cape York Sept / Oct 2017

Another little update, Steve T had hoped to be able to join us and put us back at 9 Jeeps. Unfortunately work and the NDIS have not been kind to him and he cannot come along.

So as I said at the June meeting, I have closed the books at 8 Jeeps and 13 people. This is a great number, not so many that we can't keep in touch even if spread out by dust, plenty for tall tails in camp!

I will re send the list to all of our stops over the weekend so they know how many we are. The requests haven't changed though, please book your own accommodation for the trip up and in Cairns (or wherever you will be before we all meet up - I'll get those details from everyone later). I have made these bookings for Ed, Adrian, Greg and I as we are convoying up together.

As per the email I sent a few weeks ago, please call Undara about camping and tours (everyone has their own letter and reference number) and in a couple of months we will all need to call Peddells Ferries at Seisia for the Thursday and Horn Island trip.

Hmm, it's the 15th of June today. So that means 3 months and 3 days until Ed, Adrian and I head north from Sydney! Getting closer!!

Dave

So I emailed all the caravan parks and tour providers so they all know about our slight downsize.

But I did get this reply from the tour operator on Horn Island:

Thank you very much for the update of your group, I have put the details into our system. We also had a WW2 jeep club drive their jeeps north through the Cape and came over to visit. It was lovely to see the old jeeps doing so well
    Have a lovely trip, see you on 2 October on the Horn Island wharf!

So wow! They got up there early. I wonder if they tried the old tele track! Pity we weren't all there at the same time - old and new.

I hope that everyone got my emails last month and this month and are contacting Cairns and Undara.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 18-06-17 at 07:38 PM.

Got a message from Wayne and Julie on Saturday. They were in touch with Undara and did all their bookings, but it came back that the Active Explorer tour that some of us are booked in for is at 8.00am not the 10.30 that I had in my last email.

Sure enough when I checked my paperwork I am down for 8.00am not 10.30. I have not tried to change this, and it is possible that because it is warming up there by the time we arrive in October that maybe they only run the earlier tour.

Of course we do not all have to be on the same tours, book whatever you want and I'm sure you will love it - it's an amazing place!

Today is Monday of the last week of Term 2 (school teacher). This time on Monday of the last week of Term 3 I will be on the road heading North. 12 weeks to go!!

Dave

Hi all, just an update, although I think I saw everyone at the club meeting last night.

Seven weeks today and most of us are meeting up in Cairns! We are well into single figures now

Unfortunately we are also down to 7 jeeps as John and Di have had to pull out

Pretty sure everyone had booked in Cairns and Undara after the last meeting - so there is only one more booking to do in advance with Peddells ferries for the Thursday and Horn Island tours. We don't have to do that until September as they already know we are coming, and I'll remind everyone then.

Any questions, please let me know. On this cold and rainy night I am really looking forward to an early summer - In 7 Weeks!!!

Oh, and for those a bit worried about the Daintree ford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Io0Spmk0RI looks fairly straight forward

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 04-08-17 at 11:44 AM.

Sooo sorry we can't make this trip! Will do a rain check hopefully for next year !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another little update, we have picked up a passenger. Greg's son Tristan will be flying to Horn Island and joining us for the return journey South. Lucky he got practice in the Vic High Country in January having me as a passenger

I'm going to email all of our destinations over the weekend to let them know that we are down to 7 Jeeps, but only down by one person for the trip South.

Peddells Ferries should be ready to take our bookings and money for the Two Island Tour to Thursday and Horn Islands in the next couple of weeks. I will post up and email everyone when I hear from them, and that will be the LAST pre trip bit of organising that we need to do!

FOUR more weeks at work for me until the off!!

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Everyone,

Here are the details for the last pre trip booking for Cape York – The ferry and tours of Thursday and Horn Islands. I gave everyone a write up on these tours in “More Stuff that you need to know” – which I have emailed to everyone.

They emailed me and asked us to book online, and I have done this for Eddy and myself:

https://secure2.respax.com.au/PTIT/n...ntCategoryID=6

Click on Book Now for the 2 Island Tour (2ISTOUR) then start filling out your details.

We are going and returning on Monday 2 October 2017.

I picked the 2 Island Tour with Hot Lunch – last time they had a very nice Chinese meal.

You need to choose the 1430 return, that is 2.30pm. The later ferry would mean you have to spend 2 nights on Thursday Island and we have not planned for that.

The rest should be pretty straight forward. If you are a concession card holder please do take advantage!

We do need to book and pay for this in advance. By the sound of it this has been specially organised for us as Monday 2 October is a public holiday. That said we did the same trip on the same day in 2011 and when I went in 2008.

If you have any trouble, or would prefer to call them to organise, please call Peddells Ferries on 07 40691551 and have a chat. They have the list of all our names as I have emailed it to them before.

And I think that is it!

I heard from Undara that everyone has booked tours and paid for camping – although some of us will pay for their tours when we get there. Some of us have paid for everything there already.

Make sure you print and bring all of your booking receipts!!!

4 weeks tonight and we will be on the way North – staying in Glen Innes with Eddy and Adrian. Can Not Wait! Just a bit over Sydney at the moment

Thanks,
    Dave

Fun fact, apart from that it is only four and a half days now until I head off...

It is 30 degrees here today, and only 27 degrees in Cairns. Looking forward to heading to the tropics for some cooler weather

Have a safe trip everyone! I know Wayne and Julie head out on Friday. Eddy, Adrian and I in convoy on Monday, meeting Greg on Tuesday arvo, and Kevin, Rhonda and Sarah join us on Saturday. Danny and Sharon are still a bit unsure but will let us know when they know... Best wishes to you both.

Hope to see everyone next week!

Dave

Have a great trip folks, wish i could have gone again. I hope all your corrugations are little ones. Dave nice to see your still using the KJ avatar.
    Glen

Safe travels peeps! Can't wait for the tales...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk