Thread: New lift law

Default New lift law

Hi All

So I bought a new JKU a few months ago, and the plan was to go 2 inch if with 33 tyres. Then the new law came out in September stating that 4x4 vehicles equipped with ESC can only go up to 50mm high. This can be either 2 inch suspension lift, 2inch body lift or max tyre diameter of 50mm larger. Or an combination of all of them up to 50mm .For example 1 inch suspension lift and 50mm in tyre diameter ( equal to one inch lift).
    So what about the 4x4 vehicles out there with 2 inch lift and 33' tyre that did it the legal way before the new law came in place? I know you might be able to engineer it but will cost an arm and a leg.

Or do I have it wrong?

Chees
    Jean

Heidi posted something from Roads Minister Duncan Gay in November that included;

"Currently in NSW the VSB14 allows a 50mm lift (increase in vehicle height due to suspension and/or tyres), any higher than 50mm will require certification. This limits 4WD owners to the industry average 50mm – or 2” as it’s often referred to – suspension lift and restricts them to standard size tyres.
    The new 75mm lift rules will allow a vehicle to be fitted with a 50mm suspension lift kit and tyres that are 50mm larger in diameter (ie 25mm radius) than the standard items (only half the increase in the tyre’s diameter affects the height of the vehicle). In general terms, your average 4X4 ute could legally run a 50mm suspension lift and 32” tyres, although it will of course depend on the vehicle make/model and it’s approved standard tyre size(s)."

The original reference is on Duncan Gay's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DuncanGay/p...PAGES_TIMELINE

Also explained here http://www.loaded4x4.com.au/9363/75m...-legal-in-nsw/

Does that help?

Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you. I read something about the ESC fitted 4x4's that cant even go more than 2inch in total. it was in the NSW RMS page. but cant find it again. But you post will help. thanks

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Our JK has been through the track testing for certification and went fine. 35" tyres with 4" lift. Wheel offset is changed to be a wider track which helps stability but basically its about the ECS and the lift geometry correction. You change the parameters in the computer with a Procal unit. This also made changes for the diff gear ratio changes.

so if done right, the ECS is not an issue.

Old rules, generally it is thought that 33"s on a 2" lift are OK.

New rules seem to give another 1" flexibility.

Suggest you speak to a certifier, they offer a consult service, mine cost $250. They'll tell you steps you need to make and what is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Our JK has been through the track testing for certification and went fine. 35" tyres with 4" lift. Wheel offset is changed to be a wider track which helps stability but basically its about the ECS and the lift geometry correction. You change the parameters in the computer with a Procal unit. This also made changes for the diff gear ratio changes.

so if done right, the ECS is not an issue.

Old rules, generally it is thought that 33"s on a 2" lift are OK.

New rules seem to give another 1" flexibility.

Suggest you speak to a certifier, they offer a consult service, mine cost $250. They'll tell you steps you need to make and what is involved.
    I 2nd Dru's comment, I am almost through the process now, and find the engineer he recommended very helpful.

On the whole on minor corrections:
    * Front axel truss to reinforce the weak Dana 30s (kicking myself yet again for not going Rubicon!)
    * Front and Rear mudflaps
    * Replace cable ties on power line to rear winch with P-Clips
    * Move side mounted Hi Lift to roof

I am booked into go through the process in early January

Just hope I don't have a smash and find myself uninsured between then and now and then!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi,

I am in the same boat as well. I just sold my TJ to upgrade to a JK but I probably wont unless I can do the 2" lift and bigger tyres. I had a read of the manual here and the VSB14 here and my understanding is that we can increase height by 50mm in suspension and 25mm in tyres but I might be wrong. The section on ESC only talks about suspension not tyres or vehicle height.

Jean, did you get any advice on this?

Nick