Thread: JKU rim question

Default JKU rim question

I would like to change my stock tyre to 33x12.5 in the next few months. So I have a few question. Can I go down to 16 inch rims? Will the cheaper steel rims fit? And what off set do I need? I have a 2016 with 2 inch lift.

Cheers
    Jean

Visitor

You cannot really "downsize" to 16" rims because of the brake rotor+caliper size. You need 17" rims (older JK wranglers, up until 2010 I think, had smaller brakes so they can run 16" rims).

Don't know what offset you need to accommodate the 33x12.5 tyres; this would depend on the rim+tyre combo as some rims are wider than others... You'll most likely want positive offset otherwise the tyres will stick out of the flares.

If you were to just stick with the stock rims, you could fit 285/70r17 tyres. This is almost 33" in diameter and about 11" wide. Only juust fits, but it is a popular budget choice.
    Last edited by Easy77; 07-03-17 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the 285x70x17 tyres. But I really would like the 33x12.5x17. I will go wider on the fender flares if I have to. The plan was to get 17x8 rims but if it will be an issue to fit them on my stock rims I have to. So the 33x12.5 wont work on my stock rims?

Default JKU rim question

Hi Jean,

The safest bet is to look at the suitable rim sizes for any tyre you're interested in. From my research, most 12.5" tyres call for a rim that's at least 8.5" wide, while the stock Jeep rims are only 7.5" wide. Lots of jeepers in the US will fit them anyway, but I've heard they're a little more squirrelly in daily use.

On the topic of offset / back spacing, I think 4.75" of back spacing is the minimum to ensure no rubbing against your undercarriage with the larger tyres. I went with 17x9 wheels with 4.5" back spacing to be safe. That said, combined with 35x12.5" rubber, mine stick out about 2" past the stock flares.

Good luck!
    Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mohawk; 06-03-17 at 08:49 PM.