Thread: Gps

Visitor

Default Gps

Hi all - any recommendations around GPS apps or dedicated GPS devices... wondering what members are using... being doing some research .. would appreciate your feedback.. thanks Hitesh (newbie to the club)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use motion x app I my iPad and I also a VMS. I think the motion X is so much easy

I haven't experimented with many options, but having Hema maps on our iPad mini was priceless in the outback, and other areas where mobile networks weren't available.

I use mud maps , I like the ability to use my own maps. I have used this for about 8 years

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

We stock:
    Mud Maps
    GPX
    Memory Maps

But we keep coming back to the basic HEMA Explorer.

Mud Maps sometimes shows minor tracks not on Hema. GPX has a plethora of data outputs - you'll like it if you're into that stuff. Memory Maps doesn't seem worth bothering with.

But we keep coming back to HEMA Explorer.

I have a Garmin Monterra which is great. You can also add Birds Eye for a small yearlyfee.

Visitor

I have an iPad mini on which I run mud maps and hema maps. I typically get an overall picture on the Hema maps and then use the 1:25,000 topographic that can be downloaded for free on mud maps once I'm moving and to log tracks/waypoints etc. works great

Visitor

Thanks ... I tried on the weekend to use google maps, offline maps and used my waypoints that I had saved ... however the way points are saved on google in the "clouds" and when I lost my phone reception I also lost my waypoints... the offline google maps was ok to tell me where I was but I couldn't navigate... lucky I had my 4WD treks book.. has anyone set up a "system" with an IPad covering the standard radio /GPS so I can flip on and off the iPad...rather than loose more valuable window space

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Hitesh, I'm not sure I really understand your issue, but we wouldn't do a setup that required mobile reception for navigation. Mobile reception just is not reliable on the trails. We no longer keep paper back up maps. Our iPad is the primary navigation tool - using satellite. Then our two phones hold the ap and are our backups.

With HEMA, you definitely need reception to download maps. So we tend to do this before we travel and from home using wifi. Once out on the trails the HEMA needs to connect only to the satellites to navigate.

Our biggest issue has been iPad battery which runs out quickly when the ap is in operation. We simply arranged a charging point in the Jeep to solve that.

Cheers