Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baal Bone Saturday 5th August

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Baal Bone Saturday 5th August

Key updates are in red text!

Sales pitch:
    OK, Baal Bone is one of those "must do" trips for Sydney "wheeling". From the top of Baal Bone we have the second best views on the Central Plateau - you need some serious driving for the best at Mt Airlie! The trip on the whole is easy-moderate grade (Blue Square Medium under Association track grading - I think), though we have two pinch points which will mean you have something to boast about at the end of the day.

EDIT: Slight change after our reccie with Greg - we will run the trip in the normal direction - starting from Zigzag railway and ending up on the Castlereagh highway a bit before Capertee. From Zigzag we'll zip over to the powerlines, bit of fun there sticking to the C Grade options at the obstacles. Then out via Beecroft FT to drop down behind Wallerawang. Touch of bitumen through to Baal Bone.
    Exit via Castlereagh Hwy.

It's a fabulous run through of some of Lithgow area pagoda rock formations and a lovely day out.

Where: Baal Bone - between Capertee and Lithgow, Great Western Hwy.

When: Saturday 5th August Meet 7:30 am for 8:00 am (sharp!) departure. Please be fuelled and fed for departure. We dont stop again for fuel, you want to be full at the meet up point.

Meet: Richmond MacDonalds. We will convoy up the Bells Line of Road to ZigZag railway. If you wish to meet us at ZigZag (maybe stay the night at the Blue Mountains on Friday) please let us know to avoid confusion on the sign up sheet. You need to be at ZigZag latest 9:00 am.

Grade: C Grade mostly, two pinch points - one on the climb, one on the descent which can be on the tricky side of C+. Some fun at the powerlines.

Requirements: Subject to the usual caveats (nothing in life is guaranteed!) this trip should be fine for stock Jeeps.

However 20" mag wheels with low profile tyres are at risk. It is after all a dirt Road!

Recovery points Front AND Rear are mandatory. It is not unusual for a snatch or winch to be used at the climbing pinch point.

Please bring recovery gear if you have it, though we will have our well-tested
    gear available if someone is new to the club and not fully geared up yet (just remember that those recovery points are mandatory).

You will need your own radio.

Food/drink of choice, camera.
    Sense of fun!

Oh, and rug up. No really, rug up! This time of year the bog holes can literally be frozen.

This run is limited to: 10 vehicles including trip leader. Please let me know your vehicle type and confirm recovery points when you book-in.

Attending:

1. Dru - Dru'n'Kerry - JK shorty
    2. RD401 - Ed - JKU
    3. Rahul - JKU
    4. Will98 - Will, the Capertee guru - JK
    5. Hitesh - JKU
    6. Jamest - James WK2
    7. stevet, Steve - TJ
    8. Qaanita - JK
    9. Flatfender - Ian, Classic Willies
    10. GregD - Greg WK2
    11. Stu Stuart jk

TBC
    daniel.djuracic - Daniel, WK2
    Last edited by Dru; 18-09-17 at 09:10 AM.

Hi Dru, put me on the list please. ED - JKU, front & rear recovery points.

Visitor

Hi Dru put me on the list please. Rahul-JKU, I haven't done any 4wd since our last trip to Mt Airlie, front and rear recovery points

Sent from my UMI Plus E using Tapatalk

Well that's going well. Only an hour and the list is building nicely. Welcome to the trip Ed and Rahul.

Hey Dru,

Sounds good! Haven't done this one yet, put me down please.

Cheers,
    Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will, look forward to catching up.

Visitor

Sign me up ...however have stock tyres.. let me know if that's a problem.. this would be first trip with the club..

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Sign me up ...however have stock tyres.. let me know if that's a problem.. this would be first trip with the club..

Hitesh, Kerry and I just LOVE newcomers. Our buzz. Giving you a buzz. Stock tyres we can work with. All good. But I cant change that better tyres protect the wheels better. That's life. Look forward to catching up, this is exactly the kind of trip that a new member on a stock Jeep, I think, should be checking out.

By the way, what's the vehicle? LOL.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Hitesh, Kerry and I just LOVE newcomers. Our buzz. Giving you a buzz. Stock tyres we can work with. All good. But I cant change that better tyres protect the wheels better. That's life. Look forward to catching up, this is exactly the kind of trip that a new member on a stock Jeep, I think, should be checking out.

By the way, what's the vehicle? LOL.
    It's a JK .. I attended the club meeting in May and the club rigs inspired me to rack up my credit card [emoji854][emoji23] .. have had a 2in lift, front and rear bars, rock sliders, winch, snorkel... only thing left is some wheels...

Hi Dru,

Would you be able to add Steve and Lisa, please?
    JK shorty too. Confirming front and rear recovery points.