Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible D/C Grade January 2018 Trip through the Snowy Mountains??

Default Possible D/C Grade January 2018 Trip through the Snowy Mountains??

Several people have asked if I am planning any touring in January 2018. Several more people have asked about D/C grade trips that stock vehicles (with 4WD) could handle.

So, IF I survive Cape York in Sept / Oct, maybe a short, not too challenging trip could be organised for anyone who is interested. I have roughed out an idea that would take us down through the NSW Snowy Mountains from Talbingo, down the western edge of Kosciuszko national park to Khancoban, over the Alpine Way to Tom Groggin, then across the Murray River to Mt Pinnibar, South across Davies High Plain and then East to the Snowy River and North through Jindabyne, Yarrangobilly Caves and Blue Waterholes and on to Canberra.

This would take 7 days Sydney to Sydney and be about 1500km, so it isn't long, and combines the best bits of the Snowy trip we did in 2014 and some of the Victoria trip from 2016. For those who noticed the lack of wildlife in Victoria, this trip will take us to places where I have seen (but can't promise there will be...) brumbies, kangaroos, emus and where we heard wild dogs howling (freaky!!) at night at Blue Waterholes in 2014. Lots of stunning scenery!

People with very capable 4WD Jeeps could consider towing a camper trailer - very steep and lo range going up onto Davies High Plain. But there is nothing on this trip that a stock Jeep with lo range could not handle if not towing (unless it rains!). I scraped the bash plates on my KJ a bit on that climb... C Grade.

BUT, I'm not sure when we would go! New Years Day - January 1st - is a Monday in 2018. I want to be in Sydney for New Years Eve. We could leave on New Years Day and be back on Sunday 7th Jan if people need to be at work on Monday 8th.

Or we could leave it a couple of days or a week IF that would suit people? When are people on holiday??

If you are interested and can help with dates that suit, please post up below. I can bring my itinerary ideas to the August meeting and we can discuss then. All assuming that we get back from the Cape in one piece...

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 30-07-17 at 06:31 PM.

Visitor

Dave - tentative yes... from us. Would we have to carry fuel for the trip? Free camping? We are on holidays from 22nd but assume people want to be home over Christmas with family not out jeeping? [emoji51]talk more soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dave; 23-07-17 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Dave - tentative yes... from us. Would we have to carry fuel for the trip? Free camping? We are on holidays from 22nd but assume people want to be home over Christmas with family not out jeeping? [emoji51]talk more soon.

Hi Hitesh,

Longest distance between fuel stops would be 350km, but with off road and some lo range... You might need 100 litres in a petrol vehicle? Maybe??
    Camping, looking at 3 nights in caravan parks, 3 nights in free National Parks - although you need a NSW National Parks pass - $68 - so they aren't really free. All up I guestimate $600 for a single in a Jeep for a week - food, fuel, camping, passes... A bit extra with a passenger.

What I really need to know is when. I would not go before New Years Day, January 1st, but would a few days later suit?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 24-07-17 at 02:32 PM.

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hi Hitesh,

Longest distance between fuel stops would be 350km, but with off road and some lo range... You might need 100 litres in a petrol vehicle? Maybe??
    Camping, looking at 3 nights in caravan parks, 3 nights in free National Parks - although you need a NSW National Parks pass - $68. All up I guestimate $600 for a single in a Jeep for a week - food, fuel, camping, passes... A bit extra with a passenger.

What I really need to know is when. I would not go before New Years Day, January 1st, but would a few days later suit?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Hi Dave -I have to be back at work by the 8th (Monday) so an itinerary that makes sense for you whilst still covering as much as possible .. happy to see what suits others too.
    Hitesh

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Hi Dave -I have to be back at work by the 8th (Monday) so an itinerary that makes sense for you whilst still covering as much as possible .. happy to see what suits others too.
    Hitesh

Great, that's what I need. The 7 days Monday 1st to Sunday 7th would suit you best. Can do.

Anyone else out there have any preferences?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,
    Yes please put my name down for the trip as we talked about at the last club meeting.... Possibly the 2nd would be a better departure date for me or any time after.....
    JC Member# 094

Hi Dave,

We will be very interested in doing this trip.

We are off from 23Dec and back to work on 8Jan. Will be keen to join you if its Mon 1 Jan to Sun 7 Jan. Planning to bring our trailer.

We will probably leave on the 23rd and do some camping/touring on the way down before and join you guys on the 1st.

We are thinking of hitting Bendethera Valley which we didn't get to do in June. Then to Cascades Falls and somewhere in between Cooma and Talbingo, depending on your start point. If there is anyone who would like to join us, they are more than welcome. We will refine our itinerary and post it up in a few weeks time.

Regards,
    Sean and Daf

Quote Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
    Hi Dave,

We will be very interested in doing this trip.

We are off from 23Dec and back to work on 8Jan. Will be keen to join you if its Mon 1 Jan to Sun 7 Jan. Planning to bring our trailer.

We will probably leave on the 23rd and do some camping/touring on the way down before and join you guys on the 1st.

We are thinking of hitting Bendethera Valley which we didn't get to do in June. Then to Cascades Falls and somewhere in between Cooma and Talbingo, depending on your start point. If there is anyone who would like to join us, they are more than welcome. We will refine our itinerary and post it up in a few weeks time.

Regards,
    Sean and Daf
    Okay! That's two for starting on the 1st and getting home on Sunday 7th for work on Monday 8th of January. Sounds like that may be the go. Going to have to see if Steve can adjust slightly...

My aim is to meet at Talbingo on Monday evening the 1st of Jan then head into the hills on Tuesday morning - so anyone leaving from Sydney could head out late on Monday morning. It's only about 450km on tar to Talbingo and it will be daylight savings...

I've mapped out the trip/itinerary with these dates and will bring some copies on Wednesday to discuss.

Thanks!!

Dave

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Okay! That's two for starting on the 1st and getting home on Sunday 7th for work on Monday 8th of January. Sounds like that may be the go. Going to have to see if Steve can adjust slightly...

My aim is to meet at Talbingo on Monday evening the 1st of Jan then head into the hills on Tuesday morning - so anyone leaving from Sydney could head out late on Monday morning. It's only about 450km on tar to Talbingo and it will be daylight savings...

I've mapped out the trip/itinerary with these dates and will bring some copies on Wednesday to discuss.

Thanks!!

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

Interested as well will confirm once I've spoken to Bec about it as well as not sure where we'll be on the 1st of Jan. Will also be towing the trailer if we come.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076