Thread: Cargo carrier / Fuel Carriers

Visitor

Default Cargo carrier / Fuel Carriers

Hi fellow Jeepers... looking for some ideas / guidance

1/ I have a Uneek tyre carrier and was wondering if anyone has a setup where they have hooked up a cargo carrier onto it and possibly over/above the tyre ... if that makes sense. I can buy Jerry can attachments from uneek but they don't have a cargo carrier.... photos be great.

2/ does anyone know the rules around carrying petrol and gas inside or outside the car... just got informed that I can't carry petrol legally on the rear Jerry can holder even if I went and bought it.

Thanks for your help.

Hitesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hitesh,

I haven't seen a rear cargo carrier for the spare wheel either - as it is a swing out I think weight might be an issue! I have the Uneek bar as well and don't want to put any more weight on there than really necessary! Have you considered a roof pod? GregD has a great one on the roof of his WK2! He also has the Uneek roof rack / platform which is great for loads! http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/roof-rack...-cherokee-wk2/

Fuel is another issue. I think that you are correct - you can't carry Petrol in a carrier on the rear bar, although you can carry Diesel! Some people put Jerry Cans on the roof rack, and there are a lot of purpose built holders for roof racks. But fuel on the roof is heavy and difficult...

I jumped on Google and found this:

"Petrol is classified as a dangerous goods and is controlled by dangerous goods transport law. Diesel is not a dangerous goods and is not controlled.
    The Act controls all transport of dangerous goods and requires everyone to transport dangerous goods safely. . However, the dangerous goods Regulations for transport of all dangerous goods including flammable liquids (dangerous goods of class 3) do not control certain activities.
    These uncontrolled activities include the private transport of your own goods provided there are less than 250 litres of petrol or other flammable liquids in one or more drums or jerricans on your vehicle.
    This means, as far as DEC controls (and NSW law) are concerned, that you can carry jerricans of petrol in your car with no restrictions other than the general duty of care to do this safely. It is up to you to use 'safe' procedures.
    Please note that the dangerous goods transport laws are uniform throughout Australia.
    Please also note that most vehicle insurance policies require you to notify the insurance company if you transport dangerous goods, such as petrol and LP gas.

Alan Ritchie
    Manager Dangerous Goods
    Department of Environment and Conservation NSW"

I have carried Diesel in jerry cans in my Jeep, and I know that people carry Petrol in their Jeeps too! I always make sure the lid is on tightly (and check daily) and also double wrap in garbage bags to minimise the possibility of spillage/fumes. Having it inside minimises risk of damage and overheating and the weight is down low...

Hope that helps!

Dave

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hi Hitesh,

I haven't seen a rear cargo carrier for the spare wheel either - as it is a swing out I think weight might be an issue! I have the Uneek bar as well and don't want to put any more weight on there than really necessary! Have you considered a roof pod? GregD has a great one on the roof of his WK2! He also has the Uneek roof rack / platform which is great for loads! http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/roof-rack...-cherokee-wk2/

Fuel is another issue. I think that you are correct - you can't carry Petrol in a carrier on the rear bar, although you can carry Diesel! Some people put Jerry Cans on the roof rack, and there are a lot of purpose built holders for roof racks. But fuel on the roof is heavy and difficult...

I jumped on Google and found this:

"Petrol is classified as a dangerous goods and is controlled by dangerous goods transport law. Diesel is not a dangerous goods and is not controlled.
    The Act controls all transport of dangerous goods and requires everyone to transport dangerous goods safely. . However, the dangerous goods Regulations for transport of all dangerous goods including flammable liquids (dangerous goods of class 3) do not control certain activities.
    These uncontrolled activities include the private transport of your own goods provided there are less than 250 litres of petrol or other flammable liquids in one or more drums or jerricans on your vehicle.
    This means, as far as DEC controls (and NSW law) are concerned, that you can carry jerricans of petrol in your car with no restrictions other than the general duty of care to do this safely. It is up to you to use 'safe' procedures.
    Please note that the dangerous goods transport laws are uniform throughout Australia.
    Please also note that most vehicle insurance policies require you to notify the insurance company if you transport dangerous goods, such as petrol and LP gas.

Alan Ritchie
    Manager Dangerous Goods
    Department of Environment and Conservation NSW"

I have carried Diesel in jerry cans in my Jeep, and I know that people carry Petrol in their Jeeps too! I always make sure the lid is on tightly (and check daily) and also double wrap in garbage bags to minimise the possibility of spillage/fumes. Having it inside minimises risk of damage and overheating and the weight is down low...

Hope that helps!

Dave
    Thanks Dave... much enlightening and I assumed wrong regarding Jerry cans and transporting petrol. I also heard the same about BBQ gas bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Thanks Dave... much enlightening and I assumed wrong regarding Jerry cans and transporting petrol. I also heard the same about BBQ gas bottles?

Hmm, gas is tricky too. If you don't turn them off properly you could have a problem in your car. But if they are on the roof rack (and again you can get purpose built gas bottle holders for platform roof racks) they can get hot (as do jerry cans) and I just don't know what that could do...

Greg puts his in his roof top pod, so at least it is insulated, and locked away.

If you really need more storage space, have a chat with Greg next Wednesday, as his Uneek rack and Pod are a great combo. Everything is within the 'footprint' of the car, no weight hanging off the back, you just have to watch for low trees and Westfield car parks! He still has space up there for a hi-lift jack, shovel, awning, and sometimes even firewood! He also has the Uneek side steps/rock rails, and I can reach into the pod from the steps - I'm a lot shorter than Greg!

Happy shopping

Dave

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hmm, gas is tricky too. If you don't turn them off properly you could have a problem in your car. But if they are on the roof rack (and again you can get purpose built gas bottle holders for platform roof racks) they can get hot (as do jerry cans) and I just don't know what that could do...

Greg puts his in his roof top pod, so at least it is insulated, and locked away.

If you really need more storage space, have a chat with Greg next Wednesday, as his Uneek rack and Pod are a great combo. Everything is within the 'footprint' of the car, no weight hanging off the back, you just have to watch for low trees and Westfield car parks! He still has space up there for a hi-lift jack, shovel, awning, and sometimes even firewood! He also has the Uneek side steps/rock rails, and I can reach into the pod from the steps - I'm a lot shorter than Greg!

Happy shopping

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I am away so won't be able to make the meeting but will catch up soon especially regarding the Snowy trip... that's what prompted me to figure out what to do with the fuel.
    Hitesh

Gas bottles on the rear of the vehicle are a no no, I got pulled over by the police as I had one on the back of my TJ, the police officer made me take it off and tie it to the roof rack, said there was a risk of explosion if rear ended

Andrew

I had forgotten this option - thanks to Wayne for reminding me!!

http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/AEVJ...VAEV10305031AB

Visitor

You are not allowed to put dangerous goods in a confinded space either such as a toolbox. If you do the toolbox needs to be marked with me appropriate dangerous good information. You also have to bear in mind that you arent allowed to use tunnels with gas bottles. Well not legally at least as dangerous goods are banned in tunnels.