Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowy Mountains 1 to 7 January 2018

Default Snowy Mountains 1 to 7 January 2018

Several people have asked if I was planning any touring in January 2018. Several more people have asked about D/C grade trips that stock vehicles (with 4WD) could handle.

So I thought about it, and here it is, 7 days and about 1500km Sydney to Sydney, combining the best bits of the Snowy trip we did in 2014 and some of the Victoria trip from 2016. For those who noticed the lack of wildlife in Victoria, this trip will take us to places where I have seen (but can't promise...) brumbies, kangaroos, emus, and where we heard wild dogs howling at night at Blue Waterholes in 2014. Lots of stunning scenery! It's a short trip as after Cape York I wasn't really planning one that was too long, and it sounds like a lot of people have to be back at work on Monday 8 Jan as well.

People with very capable Jeeps could consider towing a camper trailer - very steep and low range going up onto Davies High Plain. But there is nothing on this trip that a stock Jeep with low range could not handle if not towing (unless it rains). I scraped the bash plates on my KJ a bit on that climb. C grade unless wet! (If it is wet, or there are bushfires, we will have to change the route or cancel)

Itinerary

Monday 1 Jan - Sydney to Talbingo 453km all on tar.

Tuesday 2 Jan - Talbingo to Khancoban via Buddong Falls and Mt Black Jack 129km.

Wednesday 3 Jan - Khancoban to Tom Groggin including Mt Pinnabar 127km.

Thursday 4 Jan - Tom Groggin to Native Dog Flat Campground via Davies High Plain 85km.

Friday 5 Jan - Native Dog Flat to Berridale via Suggan Buggan, the Snowy River and Jindabyne Total for day 166km. If you aren't keen on heights, you are going to love Black Mountain!

NO Fuel between Khancoban and Jindabyne - 3 days and 350km - with some steep climbs and Low Range 4WD. You will need to carry enough fuel - 100 litres? More if towing?

Saturday 6 Jan - Berridale to Blue Waterholes via Adaminaby, Yarrangobilly Caves and Long Plain Track 143km

Sunday 7 Jan - Blue Waterholes to Sydney via Broken Cart Fire Trail, Brindabella and Canberra 415km

TOTAL DISTANCE - 1518km

Although - If you don't need to be back in Sydney on Monday 8th, we could extend the trip a couple of days. Instead of heading straight back to Sydney from Canberra, we could go South East to Bendethra Valley in Deua National Park. I have heard lots of people say nice things about this place and this would be a great opportunity to see it, then get home Tuesday / Wednesday-ish.

Please Consider! To go we need AT LEAST 3 vehicles. Maximum number would be 8 to 10. Please post below if you would like to come, or if you are thinking about it. I will generate a Definites and a Maybes list. If you didn't get an Itinerary at the meeting and would like a PDF version, please PM me with your email address.

Definites
    1. Dave
    2. Sean & Daf
    3. Hitesh & family (4 all up)
    4. John & Di
    5. KevinF (My14JK)
    6. Ben & Amy & Nash
    7. SteveT - will do the add on to Bendethra too.
    8. JohnC
    9. Danny
    10. Ali

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 11-12-17 at 05:33 PM.

Maybe John n Di...will confirm within the week with Johns new job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by isherz View Post
    Maybe John n Di...will confirm within the week with Johns new job!

That was quick! I have emailed the itinerary

[emoji106][emoji228]

Hi Dave,

Please put us down for the trip.

We weren't able to make the meeting tonight. Can you please email us the itinerary? I will PM you.

Cheers,
    Sean and Daf

Quote Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
    Hi Dave,

Please put us down for the trip.

We weren't able to make the meeting tonight. Can you please email us the itinerary? I will PM you.

Cheers,
    Sean and Daf
    Done and done!

Visitor

Hi Dave - put us down. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Hi Dave - put us down. Thanks

Done. Thanks Hitesh!

If you are thinking about fuel carrying options, I had forgotten this option : http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/AEVJ...VAEV10305031AB

Dennis and Kevin both have these, and thanks to Wayne for reminding me!

Dave

Visitor

Can you put me down on the maybe list? I'd love to tag along but am waiting to hear about a job and not sure if I'll be able to get the time off. I'll PM you, can I get a copy of the itinerary too.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Done. Thanks Hitesh!

If you are thinking about fuel carrying options, I had forgotten this option : http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/AEVJ...VAEV10305031AB

Dennis and Kevin both have these, and thanks to Wayne for reminding me!

Dave
    Thanks Dave - the wife was very impressed with your trip.

We are a tentative for your Simpson desert trip too...[emoji106]