Thread: Towing a camper with a 2 door

Default Towing a camper with a 2 door

Been looking at camper trailers recently and the plan was to hold off until we get the Ute or 4 door but that won't be for a few years, now Bec is keen to get something earlier. Soooo, who tows on the limit with a 2 door, looking at a Max weight of 1600kg (Pre 2011 JK so higher towing capacity). Think of something like these two at the moment, both have a max of 1600kg but closer to 1000kg empty and they both have a lowish towball weight so 100% legal. It's tricky though since we have limited room on board so most things will need to go on the trailer, rear fold with the built in rack might work better for this.

OR

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

we towed with our TJ - you will certainly feel 1600kg behind the jeep.
    We have a hard floor and frequently carry things on the top of the camper - depending on the trip.
    Ours is 690 dry I think as it needed to be towed behind the TJ which only tows max 900kg.
    We have towed/dragged ours through the high country several times now no issue.

Hey Steve, question, does the towing capacity go up if we have electric trailer brakes fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep11 View Post
    Hey Steve, question, does the towing capacity go up if we have electric trailer brakes fitted?
    Nup, 750kg without brakes, 1600kg with them At least we don't have the 3.6 its 1000kg with brakes!

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Steve, there is another option that I am waiting to be delivered, it’s the Pod Kwik Kampa. Less than 700kg loaded full independent suspension platform with electric brakes. I’ll be doing a full review when it’s delivered just before Christmas. Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice but not really big enough for 3 both living space and storage wise. We have no room in the Jeep

Cheers
    Steve

We're hoping to buy something shortly to be towed behind our TJ. There's only 2 of us and we tend to pack light (as you do). We're not looking to get a LWB and if we were to buy another it would be another JK/JL SWB, although it Jeep do bring out a single cab Ute.....

Have hired a Cub Daintree to see how we liked this type of camper. They come in at 865kg tare. Our TJ towed it fine and it tracked really well. Was fairly easy to setup, slightly more fiddly to fold up. What we didn't like was packing it, as you were either jamming stuff through the small hatch in the side, else opening the camper to lift the bed to get to the storage.

The Bed was really comfy, kitchen worked fine. We weren't provided with any sides for the awning over the kitchen and ran into wet, windy weather. Hence cooking under the awning wasn't fun and with two of us and a small table trying to shelter and eat inside was very squeezy. Handed it back, happy with the quality of the camper but just not for us.

Looking around for the last 18 months, we keep coming back to used Ultimates, as they answer a lot of the issues we had with the Cub. They can be had for $20-$30k (most come with all of the added canvas), depending on spec and age, they also come in at 750-850kg tare and have ball weight of around 45kg (the Cub was around 120kg ball weight)

Packing is in the nose, so you don't have to even access the camper. Can shelter/cook inside if needed, although my partner would prefer to cook on a weber baby Q that could be stored in the nose. King size bed, and even though these cost more initially than others (even used) they appear to hold resale remarkably well and have a strong following. Plus, you can get things repaired/rebuilt/buy parts just down the coast at the manufacturer.

This type of thing.
    http://www.caravancampingsales.com.a...ltimate-elite/

I Just towed a camper with my 2 door to Cape York, didn't miss a beat.
    http://www.conqueroraustralia.com.au...am-shell-tent/

Another very good option is the X2.
    http://www.patriotcampers.com.au

Well I ordered our trailer today So I'll guess I'll find out Weight is 1010kg empty with a max of 1600kg, 100kg empty ball weight.

Got this, added the boat rack (200kg max weight) for storage on top or solar panel setup and bought a new Evacool 60lt fridge to go in it

Will sleep 3 of us very comfortably and we won't need to take the beding out or pack airbeds etc when pacing up. Has 2 jerry can holders (critical in the 2 door) as well as 80lt of water and two 4.5kg gas bottle holders. Full slide out kitchen, 100AH electrical and the usual other bits and pieces. Also comes with a fully enclosed annexe (floor and walls will stay at home most of the time) but allows us to accomodate Em's friends if they come along with us Pretty pleased with it and the price was right.

Cheers
    Steve