Thread: Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi All,

Another update, and this time not as hopeful.

I've been in touch with "SA Parks" to see if they had any thoughts as to re-opening the Warburton Crossing, after the Yacht Club said it was passable over a week ago. This is the reply I got yesterday.

Hi David,

Ive spoken to some people in Birdsville and have some updated info on Warburton Crossing.

Still the same as I expected, the crossing is still impassable and its looking to stay that way for quite some time.
    Goyders Lagoon still has water in it and that’s what is leaking into Warburton.

When Goyders first flooded it took out Warburton by about 6-7 metres wide and since the weather is quite cool up there it’s not drying out like they had hoped.

The Ranger and Police officer from Birdsville only checked again this week and have said it definitely won’t be opened the whole of July. But they are planning on checking it again every couple of weeks, so if there are any changes we will definitely know.

She mentioned that a lot of tourists are still going to have a look at the crossing and getting stuck because the flood area was far larger than would be expected.

Hope this info helps you, sorry it’s not any better news.

Have a great trip,
    Sam Butler
    Desert Parks Administration Officer
    Department for Environment and Water

So unless there is a significant change in the next two weeks, it looks like we might be going all the way up the Birdsville Track and into and back out of the sand from Birdsville. Whether we go as far as Poepple, two bush camps in the desert and only one night in Birdsville, we can decide on when we get there. Not to worry though. We will still do PLENTY of big sand dunes and get at least one night under the stars in the middle of nowhere

Two weeks until the trip West!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 23-06-18 at 10:34 AM.