Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Dave - have you got an eye on the BOM? There is definitely some action at the moment, Cooper looks to be rising, Diamantina falling from a high - I dont know anything about this stuff but looks like it is flowing through. Might not be fun right now, but might make the place very green for our trip.

AS you say though, hard to know!

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/west.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65398/I...8015.plt.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65398/I...8003.plt.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65398/I...8010.plt.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_f.../Barcoo/Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Dave - have you got an eye on the BOM? There is definitely some action at the moment, Cooper looks to be rising, Diamantina falling from a high - I dont know anything about this stuff but looks like it is flowing through. Might not be fun right now, but might make the place very green for our trip.

AS you say though, hard to know!

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/west.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65398/I...8015.plt.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65398/I...8003.plt.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65398/I...8010.plt.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_f.../Barcoo/Cooper
    Hi Dru, yes, I've been watching. With three months to go, I'm hoping that they will dry up again before we get there.

We cross the Cooper on the Birdsville Track south of Mungerannie. In 2010 we did it on the ferry - first time it had run in 20 years...

The creeks I am particularly interested in are the Warburton - which we cross going into the desert proper after we leave Mungerannie, and Eyre Creek which we cross coming out of the desert heading to Birdsville. Warburton is all black soil and impassable when wet. Hopefully as all that water is flowing south in rivers, it won't get into those two, as it does if it rains there...

Waiting and seeing, with fingers crossed, and three months for it to dry out Birdsville Hotel on Facebook is looking forward to a green / wildflowers season.

Thanks,
    Dave

Just realised we are doing the Flinders at the same time as you guys are doing this trip, we'll see you at Broken Hill and possibly at Tibooburra although we go through to Wanarring that day as we are only coming from Cameron Corner

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Just realised we are doing the Flinders at the same time as you guys are doing this trip, we'll see you at Broken Hill and possibly at Tibooburra although we go through to Wanarring that day as we are only coming from Cameron Corner

Cheers
    Steve
    Cool! What are your dates? We are in Broken Hill for the night on Sunday 8 July, driving to Flinders on Monday 9th.

Although if you are also in Tibooburra when we're there on the 18th I'm guessing later??

Catch you at the meeting next week, enjoy Coffs!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Cool! What are your dates? We are in Broken Hill for the night on Sunday 8 July, driving to Flinders on Monday 9th.

Although if you are also in Tibooburra when we're there on the 18th I'm guessing later??

Catch you at the meeting next week, enjoy Coffs!!

Dave
    We arrive in Broken Hill on the Sunday (8th) and leave on the Tuesday (10th) so we have a day to explore the surrounds of Broken Hill. We then head towards Wilpena Pound and Waraweena for 5 days or so, we stay the night at Cameron corner on the 17th so might see you guys between there and Wanarring on the 18th From there we're off to Dubbo for two nights so the kids can spend a day at the Zoo and then home on the Saturday.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    We arrive in Broken Hill on the Sunday (8th) and leave on the Tuesday (10th) so we have a day to explore the surrounds of Broken Hill. We then head towards Wilpena Pound and Waraweena for 5 days or so, we stay the night at Cameron corner on the 17th so might see you guys between there and Wanarring on the 18th From there we're off to Dubbo for two nights so the kids can spend a day at the Zoo and then home on the Saturday.

Cheers
    Steve
    Sounds great! Limited accommodation in Broken Hill at the moment as there are lots of contractors in town building a wind farm. Could not get a cabin in any caravan park, although I know Hitesh managed to find a motel room. I'm camping at Broken Hill Tourist Park, 142 Rakow Street, Broken Hill - Ph 08 8087 3841 / 1800 803 842. Dinner at the Musicians Club (opposite railway stn) after the sunset sculptures.

We are booked to camp at Wilpena Resort - camping on Monday 9th, Wilpena Pound Camping & Caravan Park – Ph 08 8648 0004. On the 17th we'll be driving to Tibooburra from Innaminka, lunch at Cameron Corner. Staying at the camping ground at Tibooburra Granites Motel & Caravan Park - Ph 08 8091 3305, dinner at the Family Hotel! If youre camping I imagine you'll be there too

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Sounds great! Limited accommodation in Broken Hill at the moment as there are lots of contractors in town building a wind farm. Could not get a cabin in any caravan park, although I know Hitesh managed to find a motel room. I'm camping at Broken Hill Tourist Park, 142 Rakow Street, Broken Hill - Ph 08 8087 3841 / 1800 803 842. Dinner at the Musicians Club (opposite railway stn) after the sunset sculptures.

We are booked to camp at Wilpena Resort - camping on Monday 9th, Wilpena Pound Camping & Caravan Park – Ph 08 8648 0004. On the 17th we'll be driving to Tibooburra from Innaminka, lunch at Cameron Corner. Staying at the camping ground at Tibooburra Granites Motel & Caravan Park - Ph 08 8091 3305, dinner at the Family Hotel! If youre camping I imagine you'll be there too

Dave
    We're also camping at Broken Hill tourist park that night so we'll join you guys for dinner and sculptures

Cheers
    Steve

Post April Meeting Update,

All 13 definites have confirmed for the trip, and on discussion with Wayne and Julie I have added one more brand new member/Jeep - Greg and Candace - who are very keen to come along, so closing the trip at 14 Jeeps and 24 people (huge - I didn't hear back from any of the Maybes...) and Julie, Wayne and I will get on with the bookings.

1. Wayne & Julie
    2. DaveG
    3. Sean & Daphne
    4. AdrianB
    5. Dru & Kerry
    6. John & Di
    7. Hitesh & Family
    8. GregD
    9. Dusan
    10. SteveT
    11. KevinF
    12. Nick & Pam will join us from Wilpena to Innaminka.
    13. Greg and Candice
    Trip Full!

13 weeks 'till we head West!

Thanks all,
    Dave

PS, The cabin I booked in Cobar is now fully shared, so if anyone else needed accommodation in Cobar on Sat 7 Jul please make own arrangements. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-07-18 at 04:12 PM.

As indicated at the recent club meeting, we have chosen to travel to Broken Hill NSW via an alternate route to Dave and our proposed itinerary is set out below for anyone wishing to convoy with us:

Day One: Sydney NSW to Hillston NSW

Departure Date: Friday 6th July 2018
    Travel Distance: Approx. 648 km / Travel Time: Approx. 7hrs
    Travel Route: Sydney - Marulan - Yass - Temora - Griffith - Merriwagga - Hillston
    Departing: Sydney at 5:00am / Arriving: Hillston at Approx. 4:00pm
    Overnight Accommodation: Hillston NSW

BRIEF:
    It is our intention to have our breakfast at Marulan, morning tea and a visit to the Aviation Museum (home to a collection of flying vintage warplanes) at Temora, lunch at Griffith and a drink/possible early dinner at the iconic Black Stump Hotel in Merriwagga before heading into Hillston.

NB. We have chosen to stay at the Hillston Motor Inn on High located on 198-206 High St, Hillston NSW 2675. However, accommodation options to suit all budgets are available in Hillston CBD and surrounds.

Day Two: Hillston NSW to Broken Hill NSW

Departure Date: Saturday 7th July 2018
    Travel Distance: Approx. 467km / Travel Time: Approx. 5.5hrs
    Travel Route: Hillston - Ivanhoe - Menindee - Broken Hill
    Departing: Hillston at 7:30am / Arriving: Broken Hill at Approx. 3:30pm
    Overnight Accommodation: Broken Hill NSW

BRIEF:
    It is our intention to have breakfast prior to leaving Hillston, top up the fuel tank at Ivanhoe and have some morning tea roadside on our leg to Menindee. We will have lunch and do some sightseeing at Menindee Lakes before heading into Broken Hill.

This itinerary allows for additional sightseeing at Broken Hill prior to the desert run. We are happy to meet anyone who wishes to join us at the Marulan Service Centre, but ask that you be fuelled, fed and ready to depart at 7:00am. Please post any expressions of interest.

Regards,
    Wayne & Julie

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar