Thread: Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An advisory comment, not a rant.

Several of us from the definite list, and who have done previous trips together, just got back from a tour of the Snowy Mountains. While we were out there we discussed things that people need to consider before doing a longer tour like this Simpson Trip will be, before they come along.

With touring trips, an itinerary is developed indicating all the dates and distances so that people can plan leave, and bookings can be made. It is not possible to change the plan much as we go. Obviously if there is a breakdown or other emergency then we have no choice.

The big problem is distance. There are days when we need to cover a few hundred kilometers on tar or dirt or a mixture, just to get to the next stop and stay on timetable. In past trips we have seen that some people have difficulty or are unwilling to maintain the speed limit on tar roads, and have difficulty or are unwilling to keep up with the convoy on dirt. On dirt we travel at speeds that are safe and appropriate for the conditions. This may be 20kph, or it may be 90kph depending on the track conditions.

There are days when we need to make early starts to cover distance. We have had people that are unable to get out of bed before 7am, let alone be on the road at 7 or even 8am. If conditions are worse than expected and speeds are reduced, we may get into camp late. There have been complaints about early starts and late finishes in the past. I try to time things to get into camp before dark, but sometimes things don't go to plan. If we have had a long day it is not possible to add a 'lay day' to make up for it. I have had complaints on past trips about having to pack up and move on most days - but this is touring, we don't stay in one place.
    We have two days off (lay days) in this trip and some shorter days, and there should be plenty of time built in for sightseeing and breaks. We can't add more lay days and stick to the timetable.

Please consider these things when deciding if you want to come along. Please read the itinerary carefully. If you need another copy I can email it to you and will have them at the next meeting. Please also consider your gear (discussed in the itinerary). If we need to make an early start to cover distance, it helps if you can pack up your camp quickly. People have asked for help packing up in the past. This can't be relied on every day.

Thanks, and again not a rant or singling out anyone. If you wish to discuss please send me an email or PM, or see me at the next meeting.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 18-03-18 at 01:08 PM.