Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jeepstar2017 View Post
    So if splitting does that mean you can now handle up to 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, not that many! Many of the places we will go have limited space, not just limited campsites.

Last edited by Dave; 1 Week Ago at 06:23 PM.

Dave,

You just can’t go and do a trip like this without a silver JK - so i guess you best sign me up!

Kevin.

Dave, please add me as a definite. Thx.

OMG and with Kev and Jeepstar we are at 13! Never had so much interest in a trip so fast.
    I really think 14 would be the absolute limit, even if we have 2 convoys running 15-20 mins apart, 7 Jeeps per is a lot...

oMG this sounds great... put me as a maybe..

DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

An advisory comment, not a rant.

Several of us from the definite list, and who have done previous trips together, just got back from a tour of the Snowy Mountains. While we were out there we discussed things that people need to consider before doing a longer tour like this Simpson Trip will be, before they come along.

With touring trips, an itinerary is developed indicating all the dates and distances so that people can plan leave, and bookings can be made. It is not possible to change the plan much as we go. Obviously if there is a breakdown or other emergency then we have no choice.

The big problem is distance. There are days when we need to cover a few hundred kilometers on tar or dirt or a mixture, just to get to the next stop and stay on timetable. Over many trips we have seen that some people have difficulty or are unwilling to maintain the speed limit on tar roads, and have difficulty or are unwilling to keep up with the convoy on dirt. On dirt we travel at speeds that are safe and appropriate for the conditions. This may be 20kph, or it may be 90kph depending on the track conditions.

There are also days when we need to make early starts to cover distance. If conditions are worse than expected and speeds are reduced, we may get into camp late. Also over many trips we have had people that are unable to get out of bed before 7am, let alone be on the road at 7 or even 8am.

There have been complaints about early starts and late finishes in the past. I try to time things to get into camp before dark, but sometimes things don't go to plan. If we have had a long day it is not possible to add a 'lay day' to make up for it. I have had complaints on past trips about having to pack up and move on most days - but this is touring, we don't stay in one place.
    We have two days off (lay days) in this trip and some shorter days, and there should be plenty of time built in for sightseeing and breaks. We can't add more lay days and stick to the timetable.

Please consider these things when deciding if you want to come along. Please read the itinerary carefully. If you need another copy I can email it to you and will have them at the next meeting. Please also consider your gear (discussed in the itinerary). If we need to make an early start to cover distance, it helps if you can pack up your camp quickly. People have asked for help packing up in the past. This can't be relied on every day.

Thanks, and again not a rant or singling out anyone. If you wish to discuss please send me an email or PM, or see me at the next meeting.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 1 Week Ago at 06:25 PM.

I just received a message from someone asking asking if they could bring a camper trailer on this trip. I did say in the first post in this thread that this trip is NOT suitable for camper trailers (and I have now made that more clear), so no. While I thought that I had said that in the paper itinerary, I hadn't. My mistake.

If anyone was thinking of bringing a trailer, please do not. Towing across sand dunes is very hard work. I have seen trailers take twice as long to cross the desert as cars not towing. We will probably see broken trailers along the side of the tracks out there. So no trailers.

After the last trip I will also be checking that all vehicles have both front and rear recovery points. I overlooked a vehicle that did not have a front recovery point in the Snowy, fortunately that car didn't need recovering. If you don't have all the appropriate recovery points and gear, and haven't had a COMPREHENSIVE service before coming, or are towing, I will ask you not to leave Broken Hill with us.

Seems to be my week for thinking of 'extra' stuff

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 1 Week Ago at 01:11 PM.