Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Yes! As I mentioned last week, the Lake Eyre Yacht Club has indicated that the Warburton Creek crossing - our way into the desert - is closed. However the Desert Parks info does not say that, so not sure. None of the websites say that Eyre Creek is wet - our way out of the desert - so, fingers crossed.
    SA roads had closed the Birdsville Track due to the flooding of the Diamantina, but the waters have peaked and should recede soon.
    I Hope [emoji41]
    Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and an update. I spoke with Phil at Mungerannie on the Birdsville Track. Warburton Creek crossing is not closed (yet at least). He's been living out there for ages and believes that the Lake Eyre Yacht Club may be being a bit optimistic. Water has reached Innaminka down the Cooper Creek, but he doesn't think it will get as far as the Birdsville Track. So, we'll wait and see, but isn't sounding too bad atm.
    Last edited by Dave; 11-04-18 at 09:33 PM.

Howdy fellow travellers
    John n I will be leaving Sydney Saturday morning early ish....6-7am heading south then west through Wagga Wagga and stop over in Griffith Saturday night this is exactly 1/2 way to broken hill and have booked a room at the “Griffith hotel”. If any one else is interested in driving this way...cheers Di n John

Hi All,

Eleven weeks tomorrow and we are heading West to Broken Hill! Julie, Wayne and I have been on the phone and internet since the April Meeting, and all the bookings that we can make are now done!

I have emailed everyone a list of Bookings and Prices - I’ll bring copies to the May Club Meeting. We have booked everything from Broken Hill to Nyngan, but there are a few things that we all have to do separately.

The first is to pay Birdsville Caravan Park. They are the only caravan park who have asked for payment up front, and I guess that is because we get there just after the Big Red Bash and they need our money to reserve our sites in this busy time. The price is $70 for the two nights 14 and 15 July, for 1 or 2 people on an unpowered site. Please call Birdsville ASAP, they require payment by 15 May, Ph 07 4656 3214. Say you are from the Sydney Jeep Club group, they have all our names. I called them today and paid my $70.

The second thing we all have to pay for is our Desert Parks Passes, but I will remind everyone about that at the May meeting. There is no need to purchase this before May, but there is also a three week delivery, so we need to order by early June!

And the last things you need to do is organize your own accommodation at Broken Hill, and however you choose to get to Broken Hill. I’m going via Cobar on Saturday 7 July and have booked a cabin at Cobar Caravan Park, 101 Marshall Street Cobar – Ph 02 6836 2425. I’m sharing that cabin with Sean & Daphne and GregD so it is full. If anyone else would like to organize/share a cabin there, we can discuss at the May meeting.

We have two other ‘convoys’ heading West by different routes, Wayne and Julie via Temora Aviation Museum and Hillston see post 39 on page 3 of this thread, and John and Di via Griffith see post 42 above.

I think most of us will camp at Broken Hill Tourist Park, 142 Rakow Street – Ph 08 8087 3841 / 1800 803 842 on Sunday 8 July. We leave from there at 7.00am on Monday (longish drive that day), and we will go out to do the Sunset Sculptures and dinner at the Musicians Club from there on Sunday night.
    I know that Hitesh managed to get a motel in Broken Hill “Gateway Motor Inn – they had a room for $160 for the 4 of us” so you can look around for alternate places, as long as we have the convoy together at 7.00am on Monday

Thanks to everyone who gave me their $6.50 each for camping in the Qld bit of the Simpson Desert National Park. I have made all those bookings – and for the few who weren’t at the April meeting and owe me a beer or two!

So, apart from 1 and 2 above, I think we are all organized. Big thanks to Julie and Wayne for all their help!!

I called Phil at Mungerannie on the Birdsville Track, and he definitely will have fuel! So 100 litres for 479km high and low range in the desert should be okay (you know your car) – unless water/flooding becomes an issue. We will know closer to time.

If anyone has been following the ‘floods’ out that way, the good news is that Birdsville is now accessible again https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads and Lake Eyre Yacht Club changed their mind about the Warburton Crossing being closed – although they still expect water there soon http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html. Other track conditions reports from Mt Dare http://www.mtdare.com.au/outback-tra...simpson-desert and the Desert Parks Bulletin https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/pa...ert-parks-pass at bottom of page.

Hopefully it is all starting to dry out and we will have a clear run in 11 weeks.

Oh, and don’t forget the Rosehill Caravan and Camping show starting on Tuesday, unless you already have enough gear (is that even possible?)

Best wishes,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 20-04-18 at 11:48 AM.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quick update from us.

The single stint to Broken Hill doesn't bother us - we do the trip Sydney to Brisbane several times a year and would rather get the first big stint of bitumen done quickly. Different once we are off the bitumen. We have chosen Menindee as a starting spot to explore and booked a room for the Saturday night. Expect to try some fishing from the banks of the Darling on Sunday - I've not caught a golden perch yet.

Dru'n'Kerry

See you all in Broken Hill Sunday evening.

Getting excited!

We’ve also signed up for a full day of first aid training on May 14th.

If anyone wants to join us its course code HLTAID004 at CBD College in the Dymocks building on George street.

www.firstaidtrainingsydneycbd.com.au

It’d be fun to know others there on the day.

Cheers,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
    Getting excited!

Nice! Doing the opposite right now, in Bright, heading over Hotham to Omeo tomorrow. Back to desert planning next week [emoji41]

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
    We�ve also signed up for a full day of first aid training on May 14th.

If anyone wants to join us its course code HLTAID004 at CBD College in the Dymocks building on George street.

www.firstaidtrainingsydneycbd.com.au

It�d be fun to know others there on the day.

Cheers,
    Nick

Hey Nick,

We did the first aid course at that college a couple of months ago. Really informative. Don't forget to do the online workshop and get your USI before you go.

We are also busy building our drawer system in the Jeep. So many things to do and the weeks are counting down!

Cheers,
    Sean & Daf

Johns had the prado ready since before we joined the Jeep club!!!! Sheesh....

A bit of an update since Wednesday night's meeting.

I reminded everyone that attended that there are a few bookings that individuals need to make, including Birdsville Caravan Park by 15 May, then your Desert Parks Pass by the start of June to allow time for postage. I know many of us have done these, I hope that everyone I haven't seen lately did get my email with all the details on 20 April. If you need it again, please let me know ASAP.

A bit of bad news, the Warburton Crossing is now flooded and closed. It is still nearly 10 weeks until we get there, so fingers and toes crossed that the Warburton River will go back down and it'll dry out before we get there.

If it doesn't re-open we have a couple of options. I can call Phil at Mungerannie mid June to see if we can cross into the desert further South through Cowarie Station. It is private property, but he organised permission for a group to go through there last year. They followed their GPS North from Cowarie as there is no track on my map from the station to the bottom of the K1 line. Sounds great! I will also ask if that route would need additional fuel, but it is about the same distance as our planned route. Maybe more low range...

If that doesn't work, we will head straight to Birdsville and go into the desert from there. We may not get to Poepple corner, but we would still do plenty of big dunes (starting with Big Red) on the way in an out again, and bush camp in the desert as planned. Or if we decide to cut our stay in Birdsville short by one night and spend two nights in the desert, we could! (yeah, I know, we only paid for one night in the desert, but last resorts and all...

We won't change ANY plans until much closer to time, when we know which routes are open/possible, so please continue with your preparations and please call me if you have any questions. There are a few people that I have not heard from since March and it would be good to know if they have made bookings etc.

The good news is that everywhere else we are planning to go is open, so we will definitely see the Flinders Ranges, Lake Eyre, Birdsville, Innaminka... So totally worth going!

Hope everyone is doing well! (I know a few are on pre-trip holidays haha)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 05-05-18 at 04:11 PM.