Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Some marvelous work by the ABC showing what is going on with the desert and water at the moment. Well worth checking out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-2...centre/9864010

Dave I know we are targeting the Simpson, but honest, given we may have to change route to avoid crossing the Warburton can we find just a little time to check out the Goyder?

Dru'n'Kerry

Hi Dru,

The Birdsville Inside Track goes through Goyder Lagoon - which on a map is just a large area of land with lots of channels. The Inside Track is nearly always closed as the 'lagoon' is nearly always at least damp.

You are right that unfortunately we likely won't be able to cross the Warburton. We will probably have to take the main Birdsville Track which goes around Goyder Lagoon, not sure what the view will be like. We can stop and have a look at the track where we had hoped to cross the Warburton, and at the Inside Track where it splits off from the main, but I'm not planning to go in if they are closed/bogs. There are not many tracks that link the main Birdsville and Inside tracks, and those there are will probably be impassable.

They had quite a bit of rain in Birdsville and Innaminka last night, with more expected today. The Birdsville Track north of Mungerannie is closed, as are all tracks to Innaminka, but they should re-open in a couple of days.
    If they had rain over the desert, it might affect how far we can get into it even from Birdsville (Eyre Creek can flood) we'll see over the next few days.

If we choose to just spend one night in the desert and two in Birdsville as planned, you can do scenic flights from Birdsville over the desert and Goyder Lagoon... to be considered
    You can also get on to the north end of the Inside Track just West of Birdsville. If we have a whole day in Birdsville, we could easily drive down and have a look.

I know that some people only want one night bush camping on the QAA line between the dunes. We can decide whether any of us want to push to Poepple or just have that one night, when we get there!

We can chat more about possibilities at the meeting next week. See you there

Dave

PS, thanks for the ABC Link, it was a really good presentation!
    Last edited by Dave; 26-06-18 at 07:58 PM.

Omg .... a week to go!!!! A tad excited now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

Just spoke to Phil at Mungerannie, who suggested I speak to Birdsville Police, so I did.
    They reckon that the Warburton has dried out a lot.
    The Policeman said I should call back next week, he is waiting on some advice from some people heading in there, but if things look okay, he will advise Desert Parks to re open the track.
    There is still hope!!
    Dave

Oh, and the main Birdsville Track has re opened, they reassess the Innaminka roads on Monday.

Last edited by Dave; 29-06-18 at 03:36 PM.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Super news there Dave!

My son still talks about how cold it was the night we camped at Wilpena Pound, back on that first trip. Good luck everyone, a great experience awaits.

Default Simpson Desert 7 to 21 July 2018

A week from now, we are all meeting up in Broken Hill. Before then, I wanted to make sure everyone knows how they are getting there.

I know John and Di have a plan, as do Wayne and Julie, and I think some others are tagging along with them.

I'm meeting Greg, Sean and Daf at Cobar Caravan Park on Saturday evening, pretty sure Kev will meet us there too. Dinner at the bowling club!

SteveT is meeting me on the way out of Sydney on Saturday morning. Possibly Lithgow or Mudgee.

Anyone else wanting to tag along, we can chat on Wednesday...

If we don't all catch up on Wednesday, drive safe!

And watch out for the goats around Cobar as well, especially near dawn and dusk!!

We will all meet in Broken Hill, and all the addresses and my contacts are in the Itinerary etc.

All the best,
    Dave

Last edited by Dave; 01-07-18 at 03:47 PM.

Good luck and safe travellers Jeepers
    Steve C

Excited...!!!!

Visitor

The meals are sorted ... [emoji23]

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

We have been pushing the wire trying to get ready in time. Fortunately Frank and Jonathon at ATV Automotive have pulled out all stops - really impressed with their knowledge, detail, care and ability to rebuild around some old and entrenched issues in the JK.

It was a close run thing, but we are ready to rock and roll! Bring on the Simpson.