Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B Grade Mugii Murum-ban: aka Mount Airlie

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default B Grade Mugii Murum-ban: aka Mount Airlie

The famous Mt Airlie. Actually the track we are looking for is the Mount Genowlan Trail. There have been reports of mining exploration grading the trails in the the lower section - probably a good thing, but also probably means the challenge does not begin until the climb to Pappys Pass.

My sincere gratitude to Mani (TRBN8R) who introduced us to this wonderful part of the world - like a moth to a flame we just cant escape the place. Col Ribaux was the pioneer diamond miner who built the trails and allowed responsible 4wd. He's retired and sold his mining lease but still lives here.

The trail winds it's way through "the 300 Sisters" of the mesa rock formations endemic in the area. We pass through wet valleys that are very Jurrasic Park, and climb to a plateau that hosts a number of endangered ecological communities and one of Australia's most threatened plants - the Genowlan Point pea.

Views are spectacular. If this trip is not on your bucket list give yourself a slap.

Where: Muggi Murum-ban State Conservation Area

When:
    Saturday 10th December 2016

Meet:
    Capertee - the convenience store. Good for a breakfast and coffee

Time:
    8:00 am for 8:30 departure. Please be fueled and fed. Yes this means an early leave from Sydney.

Grade: B

The trail is about 7.5 km in, then return the same way. There is a must do walk at the top - cant take vehicles through the "other worldly" nana heathland. We allow 6 hours for this. Low range start to finish. True rock crawling for about half and rutted dirt climbs elsewhere.

It is probably our most enjoyable 4wd track and feels like god simply built this mountain for Jeepers. The risk of damage is real, most trips see some kind of issue, thankfully mostly cosmetic. Occassionally more than simply cosmetic! Vehicles need to be properly prepared.

There is a sandstone step at Roof rack canyon which is B+. Sometimes people luck it out and drive straight through but frequently winch or assist is needed.

Tracks:
    Genowlan Trail takes us past Col's shack where we are down.
    Hopefully we have time to visit Point Hatteras and Genowlan trig - offshoots to the main track - this wont happen if there are other groups preparing for the mountain - it is really tedious getting stuck behind non-jeeps.
    We run through "the Grotto", climb to the switchback at Pappys pass, climb to Roof Rack Canyon, jump (carefully! tread softly) the step. Continue rock climbing through to Genowlan Trail. Then walk the last 1 km to the view through some wonderful wilderness.

Requirements: It's a true B grade - so one for modified Jeeps. It is by definition technical driving.

Recovery points front and rear. Recovery kit (snatch strap, rated shackles, dampener). 2" lift. AT/MT tyres. Rock rails (sturdy ones).

First aid kit, sun cream. Food and water.

Please note: no alcohol. Feel free to stop at the Capertee pub on the way out - they are very welcoming!

Good behaviour: National Parks have cameras throughout the trail and seem sometimes to be looking to close it. Tread softly and be responsible.

This run is limited to: 8 including Trip Leader and Jose who has kindly agreed to assist.

This trip list often ends up giving me grief. Without ado, this is how I would like to manage it - thanks everyone in advance for your willingness to work with us on this.

This is NOT first to speak is first on the list. Sorry.

1. Club members only.
    2. First timers to Mt Airlie take priority.
    3. It would be greatly appreciated if an experienced club member put themselves forward to learn the trip and commit to lead future groups here. One only guaranteed spot for this though.
    4. We are very willing to take repeat Jeepers - it's a trip that is hard not to want to do again - but let's check-in the new-comers first.

Attending:

1. Dru: Dru'n'Kerry; JK
    2. Dieselcon: Jose; TJ
    3. Agarwal_rahul; Rahul; JKU
    4. Rocket55: Rod; TJ
    5. KegsyJK: Greg; JK.
    6. Will98: Will; JK
    7. Mohawk: Nick and Pam; JK

Reserve List:
    1. Uncaged123: Rob; JKU
    Last edited by Dru; 02-12-16 at 07:10 AM.

Not the full trip, about half - but from our last time up.

https://vimeo.com/162253267

EDIT: Don't seem to be able to get Vimeo embedded - here is the link.

12:34Genowlan Point

Enjoy

Dru'n'Kerry
    Last edited by Dru; 21-10-16 at 08:50 PM.

Hey Dru,

Please put me down, totally understand that newbies get preference though [emoji1303]

Cheers,
    Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visitor

Hi Dru

Can you please put me down, I have never done this track and his been on my bucket list.

Cheers,
    Rahul

Quote Originally Posted by Agarwal_rahul View Post
    Hi Dru

Can you please put me down, I have never done this track and his been on my bucket list.

Cheers,
    Rahul
    Rahul, cant tell from your avatar pic, but do you have rock rails?

Visitor

Hi Dru, would love to try it again. Is that step still there, the one I had to be towed over last time.

Cheers RobS

Quote Originally Posted by uncaged123 View Post
    Hi Dru, would love to try it again. Is that step still there, the one I had to be towed over last time.

Cheers RobS
    Rob, this is not a track that we run solo beforehand, so your knowledge is a recent as mine. But yes, I'm expecting the step. If anything it gets bigger each trip!

I think we need to be more willing to tow/winch as this provides more control and less damage to the track (and Jeeps!).

Dru

Nana Heathland on top of the Genowlan Plateau

Mesa Formations

View

An expression of interest given..... Will lead runs there later if no-one else puts their hands up.....
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

Hi Dru,

I recently installed Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers, I dont think I have that in my avatar pic, time to update the pic.
    Do you think my JK will have any issues on this track, my tires are 285/70r17 and 2.5" lift.

Cheers,
    Rahul