Thread: GVM upgrade JKU

Visitor

Default GVM upgrade JKU

Hello there - has anyone investigated or carried out a GVM upgrade on their JKU. Would love to hear any experience, recommendations etc.

Thanks in advance

Hitesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visitor

Hitesh, I briefly had a look at it when I was getting my JKU (2015). The best way to obtain the GVM upgrade is before the very first registration when the vehicle is purchased brand new. There are several "off the shelf" certified kits that ARB or the like can install and the vehicle is then recognised under federal legislation across all states as GVM upgraded. Unfortunately, there's no such kit for Jeep (surprise !).

All the off the shelf kits are for Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu/Ford... While apparently there is a way to do a post rego GVM upgrade, it is more complicated and it is only certified for GMV upgrade in the state (NSW in your case). You're looking at proper engineering shop specifying if the axle can handle the weight, if brake kit upgrade is required etc etc. It may even involve Jeep to confirm that the chassis can handle extra weight and what not. In the end I wasn't keen that much and I decided to thread lightly instead...

Try to find an engineer that is a registered certifier with RMS and get some proper advice. Let us know how you go too.

Cheers,
    Dushan

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Easy77 View Post
    Hitesh, I briefly had a look at it when I was getting my JKU (2015). The best way to obtain the GVM upgrade is before the very first registration when the vehicle is purchased brand new. There are several "off the shelf" certified kits that ARB or the like can install and the vehicle is then recognised under federal legislation across all states as GVM upgraded. Unfortunately, there's no such kit for Jeep (surprise !).

All the off the shelf kits are for Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu/Ford... While apparently there is a way to do a post rego GVM upgrade, it is more complicated and it is only certified for GMV upgrade in the state (NSW in your case). You're looking at proper engineering shop specifying if the axle can handle the weight, if brake kit upgrade is required etc etc. It may even involve Jeep to confirm that the chassis can handle extra weight and what not. In the end I wasn't keen that much and I decided to thread lightly instead...

Try to find an engineer that is a registered certifier with RMS and get some proper advice. Let us know how you go too.

Cheers,
    Dushan
    Thanks Dushan

Found this article ... that references a kit? Will be calling them in the morning.

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/revi...rubicon-review

Keep you posted.

Hitesh,

I included a GVM upgrade as part of the process of getting my MY15 JKU engineered last year.

Combining the two together is the most efficient way.

Assuming you modify your Jeep beyond the legal limits lift, tyres etc...

The sad thing is that the base GVM on the JKs are very low. So even with the upgrade my car is still very heavy. We squeaked it in with a 5 seat rating.

The engineer said that technically he would rate the car much higher, but they can only raise the GVM so much above the manufacturers rating.

I would recommend talking you a good mechanic, who has a good relationship with an engineer first. They can advise you about where you are now, what you might need to do to achieve an upgrade. So you don't burn money with an engineer making multiple visits.

I am sure club members could name a few, I used Nick Finch from Solve Offroad in Seven Hills

It will depend home much you have done to your vehicle.

All the best

Adrian

Visitor

Hi Adrian - thanks mate .. just sent you a PM. Keen to understand what GVM you were able to achieve and what level of mods you had to undertake to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Hi Adrian - thanks mate .. just sent you a PM. Keen to understand what GVM you were able to achieve and what level of mods you had to undertake to achieve it.

Hi Hitesh

The upgrade was to 2850kg, no specific mods for the upgrade, but it was heavily modified for Offroad capability and strength. But the engineer said he would give more but he had reached the limit on what he could increase over the base GVM of 2540

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post

The major upgrades as related to the GVM was to fit G2 Core axels front and rear. Mine started life as an overland so only the best Dana 30s fitted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk