Thread: long range fuel tank for TJ

Default long range fuel tank for TJ

Hi all
    firstly, thanks for the opportunity to join such a great community on line.
    New to Jeep ownership, 6 months of a 1999 TJ , and loving Jeep-life, including the envious jeep-haters, they just dont get it, lol.
    I am looking for advice or feedback on a long range fuel tank.
    The only one i can find commercially is ARB, and no problems with such a reputable brand, looking for anyone who has installed one, ideas and feedback or alternatives.
    The TJ sure likes a drink, but as i told someone at the petrol station the other day who was knocking its fuel economy, it could use double and i still would have a smile like a cut watermelon, (now get in your prius and go away please)
    thanks
    David

Hi David,
    Welcome to SJC. I looked into long range fuel tanks for my TJ when I first bought the Jeep, but decided it wasn't a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, I have a 6 speed manual, and most of the commercially available long range tanks will not suit. You also lose a bit of ground clearance, and although I can't tell you from first hand experience, I've heard that some aftermarket suspension components and exhaust systems can foul. The extra weight of carrying more fuel around means your fuel economy will suffer even more, which as you know, isn't great to begin with. I figured for the majority of driving I do, the standard tank will suffice. If I want to go on a long distance drive, I'll carry two 20 litre jerry cans with me
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Thanks for the reply Elio, the clearance had crossed my mind.
    i have been also looking into a tail gate swing to hold the spare tyre, taking the weight off the rear door and see if i can get a jerry can holder incorporated into the swing gate.
    Figured that way i could hold extra fuel, only when i want to
    once again, thanks for your insight

Just be aware you aren't legally allowed to carry jerry cans of fuel on the rear bumper.

Genright in the USA have a few oversized tanks that dont give up much ground clearance and are very sturdy. Downside is they are quite expensive.

I do have a used auxiliary tank for a TJ that was removed to make room for long arms.
    I have the dual filler neck but not sure about the hoses nor transfer pumps etc.
    But if you are interested let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

thanks for the reply Wooders,
    i have often thought fuel tanks should be mounted on the front bumper, certainly would put a stop to a lot of the tail gaters, lol
    seriously, didnt know about being illegal for jerry cans of fuel on rear bumper, but makes sense.
    i contact you about the aux tank,
    many thanks