Thread: Q for Wooders Steering box rebuild

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Q for Wooders Steering box rebuild

Hopefully Wooders checks in every now and then.

We are looking to recondition our steering box - hopefully with someone who might be able to suggest sensible upgrade. Found an old thread by Hunty on AusJeepOffRoad with a guy recommended by Wooders: Australian CV and Power Steer. But are they actually around these days? If not is there are second recommendation?

Visitor

I saw something on ausjeepoffroad only a couple of weeks ago Dru. Not sure if you have checked yet but you might see something on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here [emoji16]
    Sorry no idea if Aust CV & PS are still around. Still listed on Google:
    9 Bridge St, Rydalmere but the phone number comes up as disconnected...so dunno....

Haven't needed to have a box rebuilt since so i am sorry no other recommendations spring to mind.

Whats wrong with thr current box?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
    Here [emoji16]
    Sorry no idea if Aust CV & PS are still around. Still listed on Google:
    9 Bridge St, Rydalmere but the phone number comes up as disconnected...so dunno....

Haven't needed to have a box rebuilt since so i am sorry no other recommendations spring to mind.

Whats wrong with thr current box?

It's just gotten a bit loose. Yes we could tighten the screw but it doesnt make for good steering. Everything in this jeep gets worked hard, basically the only bitumen mileage is getting to and from the trails. 35" tyres on a normal set up, used hard, what can I say. It's just a bit loose.

I'd like to improve it. Dont need the hydraulic mod, tyres add wear but not that much. Just want a better box than I've got now.

When loose, and my disconnect is frazed, then the traction control goes silly. So the sway bar will get sorted, but I'd like to do better with the steering next.

Just throwing it out there, i'm about as mechanical as a potato but someone who should know recommended to me a brand new one from USA.

I bookmarked the part number after I installed the larger tyres, figured i'd need it sooner or later.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...2126349ae.html

(not endorsing that vendor, just the part number 52126349AE )

EDIT: Part number for JKU only.
    Last edited by SnakeDoctor; 03-03-18 at 12:41 AM.
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

Visitor

Hi Dru,

The first thing I'd suggest you do is identify which of the 2 boxes you have; the earlier Delphi box is not painted and has "Delphi" cast into the side. You can check this by pulling/lifting up the inner flare on the drivers side wheel arch. The latter box is chinese made, it is painted black and has no branding. The chinese box can also be identified by the presence of a rubber boot on the input shaft (just prior to the u-joint that connects to the steering wheel shaft). This can be seen from the top if you look down in the engine bay.

To my knowledge, the chinese box is basically a throwaway item, I've never seen any parts available for it. The Delphi box is rebuildable, however. Parts are available through mopar and PSC Motorsports in the USA.

For RHD vehicles, I've searched long and hard for an upgraded unit, but never found one - unfortunately.

I dare say your truck will have the latter chinese box (because its a Pentastar engine and they changed the box around that time).

You can get a new box (chinese) for around $2k + install. But another option might be to get a second hand Delphi box for around $700, and get it rebuilt for around $400.

Just be aware that the JK and JKU are not interchangeable.

Regards,
    Jack

Thanks Jack - I think you are right, Chinese version. So I need to buy a reconditioned Delphi box. So I am getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
    Just throwing it out there, i'm about as mechanical as a potato but someone who should know recommended to me a brand new one from USA.

I bookmarked the part number after I installed the larger tyres, figured i'd need it sooner or later.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...2126349ae.html

(not endorsing that vendor, just the part number 52126349AE )

EDIT: Part number for JKU only.
    Sorry bloke thats a LHD box and won't work for RHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
    Hi Dru,

Just be aware that the JK and JKU are not interchangeable.

Regards,
    Jack
    Hey Jack never really looked at this myself but you 100% certain ?
    On my old TJ i swapped a Holden Suburaban box (rebuild) which gave a little different/deeper gearing and thus whilst most yurns loick to lock resulted in slightly more power to move larger tyres.

Visitor

It will bolt up ok, but the gear ratios are different, 14:1 vs 16:1.

Cheers
    Jack

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Ok so it bolts up. Different gearing but the deeper ratio should mean yes more turns lock to lock but sloghtly more steering power/leverage.