Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second spare for longer expeditions

Default Second spare for longer expeditions

Hey there guys!

Hoping to get some advice on a second spare for the JK.

I’m not too keen on buying another wheel if I could avoid it so I was hoping to use one of the OEM rims I replaced with my new set. I currently run 33’s on 17x8.5 rims.

So my question is, would it safe to run one tyre slightly narrower in emergencies, a 33 on a 17 x 7.5 rim, one of the OEM JK rims I still have but with a new 33inch tyre only a slightly narrower tyre?

Or will this cause issues?

Big thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Cheers,

Greg P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

What is the reason for the second spare? Answer will fall off that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    What is the reason for the second spare? Answer will fall off that.
    Hey dru!

Prep for the Simpson trip had me thinking about it but I didn’t want to restrict myself to single use if possible.

The whole hope for the best plan for the worst came to mind and I wouldn’t want to get stranded.

Will you take a second spare for the Simpson trip?

Thanks again,

Greg P

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    Hey there guys!

Hoping to get some advice on a second spare for the JK.

I’m not too keen on buying another wheel if I could avoid it so I was hoping to use one of the OEM rims I replaced with my new set. I currently run 33’s on 17x8.5....

Cheers,
    Greg P
    Hi Greg,
    There are certainly lots of advisory warnings out there asking people to have two spares. Here’s a sign I encountered as I began the Oodnadatta track last April that gave me a bit of a gut-check.

That was some pretty remote territory but with such a small vehicle we opted to carry one spare, plus a tyre repair kit.

We never did need to change a tyre, knock on wood!

As for your question about the smaller rim size, I’d say any spare is better than none at all, but I’d fix the original and rotate off that spare ASAP. Curious on the thoughts of others though!

Cheers,
    Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am still trying to work this one out. My tyres also are now in the second half of their life, and ideally would be replaced AFTER the Simpson. But all training I have done says in this situation replace them BEFORE.

I won't though bring a spare wheel. The second tyre would just be the carcass.

I've never taken a 2nd spare, I run muddies, thick sidewalls and tread, less likely to get a flat than a typical factory fit 'all terrain' that manufacturers fit. I do carry a compressor (don't we all) and a tyre plug kit and then I keep my fingers crossed

Never had an issue with the flinders, the Cape or numerous other trips. As an aside my trailer also runs muddies, for the same reason.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    I've never taken a 2nd spare, I run muddies, thick sidewalls and tread, less likely to get a flat than a typical factory fit 'all terrain' that manufacturers fit. I do carry a compressor (don't we all) and a tyre plug kit and then I keep my fingers crossed

Never had an issue with the flinders, the Cape or numerous other trips. As an aside my trailer also runs muddies, for the same reason.

Cheers
    Steve
    This sort of advice is gold.

Thanks Gents! Your input is super useful!

I run muddies too so perhaps a puncture kit and a bit of luck will be sufficient.

Wasn’t keen on a new 6th wheel and my current tyre size won’t fit in the old JK standard rims as it’s too wide.

Maybe a tyre on its own might be a good compromise although I guess a roadside rim change would be out of the question? You’d have to find a shop with some equipment would you?

I've used these at home to crack a bead and clean out the mud as it wasn't sealing, expensive and heavy though.

http://www2.tyrepliers.com.au/

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Hi Guys,

The recommendation is certainly to carry two spares if you can (if you have space). Last time we were out that way, in a convoy of 5 cars we had 4 flat tires (one vehicle had 2 puctures), but we fixed all but one puncture using plugs (1 tire written off!). I do carry two spares but I have the space, and have never needed more than one spare. I agree with SteveF, muddies are tougher. I have All Terrains...

Dru, if you check your tires, you could always replace the 2 worst and keep the olds as spare. Or replace the 4 on the ground and keep the best 2 olds for spare... Don't know if anyone in the convoy will have tire pliers or similar. If we do, then a carcass could be enough...

And the last thing, in our large convoy of JKs and WKs, what are the chances that more than one car will be running the same wheel and tyre size? We can "loan" if needed. We can ask around at the next meeting.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 11-04-18 at 09:30 PM.