Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second spare for longer expeditions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    I've used these at home to crack a bead and clean out the mud as it wasn't sealing, expensive and heavy though.

http://www2.tyrepliers.com.au/

Cheers
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, I have never seen these before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hi Guys,

The recommendation is certainly to carry two spares if you can (if you have space). Last time we were out that way, in a convoy of 5 cars we had 4 flat tires (one vehicle had 2 puctures), but we fixed all but one puncture using plugs (1 tire written off!). I do carry two spares but I have the space, and have never needed more than one spare. I agree with SteveF, muddies are tougher. I have All Terrains...

Dru, if you check your tires, you could always replace the 2 worst and keep the olds as spare. Or replace the 4 on the ground and keep the best 2 olds for spare... Don't know if anyone in the convoy will have tire pliers or similar. If we do, then a carcass could be enough...

And the last thing, in our large convoy of JKs and WKs, what are the chances that more than one car will be running the same wheel and tyre size? We can "loan" if needed. We can ask around at the next meeting.

Dave
    Makes perfect sense, thanks Dave

Hi Greg,

Back to your original question, so long as the outside diameter & the wheel track are the same as your back up it should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    Thanks Steve, I have never seen these before.

Should add if you do need to break a bead just as importantly you need enough air to seat it again, I run a twin head compressor, it's cheap but does the job and can push plenty of air.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/thu...ension-4m.html

I have used it to reseat a tyre on the bead after it was pushed off against a rock while turning with low pressures. This is something that is nice to be able to do even if you don't have to swap a tyre as it's not that unusual to pop a bead.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Should add if you do need to break a bead just as importantly you need enough air to seat it again, I run a twin head compressor, it's cheap but does the job and can push plenty of air.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/thu...ension-4m.html

I have used it to reseat a tyre on the bead after it was pushed off against a rock while turning with low pressures. This is something that is nice to be able to do even if you don't have to swap a tyre as it's not that unusual to pop a bead.

Cheers
    Steve
    Ha I have the very same compressor. Good to know that it can reseat a bead if required.

So I think the choice for me comes down to sourcing a spare rim second hand and putting a new tyre on to take or grabbing a bead breaker as a very much just in case.

I would like to have some backup even if others may have backups that would make do in a pinch.

I think I’ll pop down the scrap yard this weekend and see what’s available in the way of rims and make my decision based on that.

Thanks again for the advice.

Greg

My suggestion is to carry a spare carcass (just tyre) & tyre irons.

Quote Originally Posted by redrubi View Post
    My suggestion is to carry a spare carcass (just tyre) & tyre irons.
    Went to picknpayless and they was zero suitable rims or rubber so I’ve decided to do exactly what you’re suggesting Redrubi.

Carcass and levers. Have the hi-lift to break the bead if necessary but of course all this will be last resort.

Have the spare in the first instance and the tyre repair kit in the second.

Cheers again everyone for the advice!

Another essential in my opinion is an inner tube. This can get you out of trouble & to the next repairer.