Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Airlie - Options from D grade to B+

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Mount Airlie - Options from D grade to B+

24 and 25 November 2018

OK I have unfortunately a problem and have to postpone. I am getting new diffs and cant sort this out after Grease Monkey and before this schedule. I'll revisit when i know more and will contact interested parties as we go forward.

Apologies

Dru

This is a place marker. The incredible Mount Airlie (Mugii Murum-ban State Conservation Area) is to be impacted by extensive track closures. This may well be the last chance we have at checking out this remarkable place. I propose a weekend camping on Mount Airlie itself - NOT the crazy difficult track but the first plateau which is a short C grade run to the camp spot. Right on the edge of the diamond mine itself!

Tracks to be covered by the group are:

a) Airlie village ruins - track scheduled to be closed - heritage site of ruins from an abandoned shale oil mining site. D grade, but spectacular if you haven't visited (and you wont again short of walking in).

b) We'll run the famous Mount Genowlan trail on both Saturday and Sunday if there is enough interest. B+ Grade. I can't speak highly enough of this track - to be closed - in terms of driver challenge and of just a spectacular ecology that simply has to be experienced to understand it. The drive is advanced, not for stock unfortunately. Last chance to see the best views in the Sydney basin. Yes the best views.

c) We'll look for trip leaders to pick up interesting returns to Sydney trips for those not doing the climb on the Sunday:
    1: Turon River to Sunny Corner C grade, river crossings, views, great way to return to the big smoke.
    2: The reverse run on Baal Bone (second best views in the Sydney basin). We'll avoid the big rock step (there is an alternate) to keep the trip C grade and then do an in-and-out from the Wolgan Valley side.

There will also be a chance to watch the starting climb of the Challenging Mount Genowlan for people wanting to see something a little challenging that requires guides. And a chance to explore the trig point - C grade - for the view of "the 300 sisters" (better than the Blue Mountains!) and the wet lands at the base of Genowlan plateau. You guessed it - also to be closed. Maybe we can find the walks that are meant to be well known.

This will all happen roughly a month after Grease Monkey, so hopefully everyone will be enthusiastic to have another crack at a weekend camping with the SJC!

Expressions of interest:
    dru: Dru'n'Kerry: JK
    Dave: Dave; Grand Cherokee
    jk_Menace: Dennis: JKU
    isherz: John and Di; JK
    Hitesh; Hitesh: JK
    StewartV: Stewart; JKU
    Snakedoctor: Martin; JKU
    Richhenning: Richard; JKU
    SteveF: Steve; JK
    Atto: Wayne and Julie
    Easy77: Dusan; JK
    SeanC: Sean and Daphne; JK
    H2Micro:
    SteveX: Steve; JK
    Hunno: Hunno
    Milky
    RDO401
    tardinha
    stevet
    snoik
    goneagain
    GregD
    Afiq
    Last edited by Dru; 08-10-18 at 11:56 AM.

Nice, sounds great! Been wanting to get up there since before I missed my chance at your passenger seat last year.

If there are bits that the Grand shouldn't tackle...?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Nice, sounds great! Been wanting to get up there since before I missed my chance at your passenger seat last year.

If there are bits that the Grand shouldn't tackle...?

Dave
    You'd need to be game to take on the Genowlan Plateau climb. I'd suggest running out to the start of the ascent and checking out the progress. THEN you'll have a ball with the trig point for sure, and don't miss the Airlie village if you haven't been there.

Dave - I wouldn't recommend the Genowlan climb for a Grand Cherokee, but the camp site on Mt Airlie is completely good, even stock.

Visitor

Sounds like an opportunity not to be missed. Put me down for the weekend please.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    24 and 25 November 2018

This is a place marker. The incredible Mount Airlie (Mugii Murum-ban State Conservation Area) is to be impacted by extensive track closures. This may well be the last chance we have at checking out this remarkable place. I propose a weekend camping on Mount Airlie itself - NOT the crazy difficult track but the first plateau which is a short C grade run to the camp spot. Right on the edge of the diamond mine itself!

Tracks to be covered by the group are:

a) Airlie village ruins - track scheduled to be closed - heritage site of ruins from an abandoned shale oil mining site. D grade, but spectacular if you haven't visited (and you wont again short of walking in).

b) We'll run the famous Mount Genowlan trail on both Saturday and Sunday if there is enough interest. B+ Grade. I can't speak highly enough of this track - to be closed - in terms of driver challenge and of just a spectacular ecology that simply has to be experienced to understand it. The drive is advanced, not for stock unfortunately. Last chance to see the best views in the Sydney basin. Yes the best views.

c) We'll look for trip leaders to pick up interesting returns to Sydney trips for those not doing the climb on the Sunday:
    1: Turon River to Sunny Corner C grade, river crossings, views, great way to return to the big smoke.
    2: The reverse run on Baal Bone (second best views in the Sydney basin). We'll avoid the big rock step (there is an alternate) to keep the trip C grade and then do an in-and-out from the Wolgan Valley side.

There will also be a chance to watch the starting climb of the Challenging Mount Genowlan for people wanting to see something a little challenging that requires guides. And a chance to explore the trig point - C grade - for the view of "the 300 sisters" (better than the Blue Mountains!) and the wet lands at the base of Genowlan plateau. You guessed it - also to be closed. Maybe we can find the walks that are meant to be well known.

This will all happen roughly a month after Grease Monkey, so hopefully everyone will be enthusiastic to have another crack at a weekend camping with the SJC!
    John and Di will be in plz add us to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attendee interest:

1. Dru and Kerry
    2. Dave
    3. jk_menace; Denis
    4. isherz; John and Di

Visitor

Would love to do parts of it... not the B grade parts. Please lock us in.. now I need to move on to convincing the wife why she needs to spend her birthday [emoji320] camping [emoji23]

Visitor

Please put me down as well Dru

Stewart

Definitely keen for this.
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

Secretary

Would be interested, thanks.