Thread: e-locker wiring

Default e-locker wiring

I'm getting ready to install a Eaton e-locker in the front of my JK, I want to wire it so that it can only be activated if 4wd is engaged, I've googled it but can only find wiring info that shows it being supplied from the ignition, has anyone done this or now how to do it??

Regards
    Andrew

Will be a pia to set up but can be done. As the Wranglers don't have an electronic transfer, you are going to have to wire up a switch to a custom made bracket that activates when you pull the transfer lever into 4wd. Think of something similar to how a brake light switch works when you push down on the brake pedal. If I had to do it, I'd probably wire it the manufacturer recommends and wire the switch in to cut the earth on the relay when 4wd is not engaged
    Last edited by Elio S; 05-06-18 at 07:32 AM.
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Ive just got it wired to the accessories supply at the moment to get it working, i like your idea and would be tricky to set up, i had a suggestion from a non jeeper to pick up the suply from the sensor in the transfer case that turns on the 4wd light in the dash, maybe another option?not sure if that sensor is connected to the cpu though, might be tricky as well

Visitor

It's pretty simple. Just wire in a relay to that switch that tells the ecu it is in 4wd. From memory, the switch just has 2 wires. One is hot all the time, the other is hot when 4wd is selected. Just power the relay coil (terminal 85) from the second wire.

Visitor

On second thoughts, don't do that. Was just looking at the wiring diagram, the switch has a bunch of resistors in it - which basically means it produces a different voltage that the ecu uses to determine what position the transfer is in. Powering a relay from the signal wiring might play havoc with the signal input. A separate switch might be the only way...

yeah I was thinking along the line of a second switch, maybe an illuminated toggle in the plastic overhead corner panel(above the A pillar) so you to turn it on when offroading, and the locker switch can be activated as required.

since I put the locker in and regeared it has changed the vehicle for the better, should have done it years ago, I can now use 6th gear when previously I was always driving in 4th.5th, big improvement