Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wattagans Reccie Sat 4-8-18

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Wattagans Reccie Sat 4-8-18

There will very likely be a few posts like this, coming late in the week - as we reccie for Grease Monkey. Get involved where you can, though most reccies will have group small numbers due to the logistics involved when we are trying to works things out.

General:
    This reccie is Sean and Daphne looking to gear up for for Grease Monkey. Target is C+ Grade but possible B grade pinch points may be on the list. Reccie attendees will necessarily preference potential Grease Monkey trip leaders - though note that this one is not a D grade run and requires prepared jeeps.

Where: Watagans

When: Saturday 4th August 2018 day trip - to leave meet point at 9:30am

Meet: M1 Motorway services traveling North, just past Wyong. On Google it's called F3 Wyong North bound (Twin Servos). There is a Macca's and a healthy fast food as well.

Grade: Well it's a reccie so formally this is X grade - unknown; but the target is C+ Grade with B grade obstacles OK. We will probably be looking into some of these tracks:

a) CPT80 + Sawmill and "friends"
    b) Green's Break + Creek Rd and Farrels

Requirements: Well prepared jeeps are needed for these initial reccies. Later trip leaders may ask for stock vehicles to test the trip, but first up we don't really know what we are up against. 2" lift, 33" off road tyres, recovery gear, tow points front and rear, first aid kit, radio. Fuel needs to be full leaving the meet point - we don't necessarily take the quickest route out to fill up, but target getting back closer to Sydney.

This run is limited to: Ideally 4 jeeps, 5 max for experienced club guys ready to push through on a reccie. Trips tend to be at a bit quicker pace between challenges.

Attending:
    1. SeanC - Sean and Daphne, JK
    2. dru - Dru'n'Kerry, JK (still in overlanding mode!)
    3. richhenning - Rich, JKU
    Last edited by Dru; 31-07-18 at 12:42 PM.

Secretary

I would like to join please Dru. Keen to start to consolidate my knowledge of the Watagans. Happy to be bumped if more deserving participants come to the fore. Also good for the Jeep to have an off road shakedown after the repairs recently completed.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richhenning View Post
    I would like to join please Dru. Keen to start to consolidate my knowledge of the Watagans. Happy to be bumped if more deserving participants come to the fore. Also good for the Jeep to have an off road shakedown after the repairs recently completed.

Rich
    Rich - you are really welcome.

Visitor

Treat all puddles on Sawpit and CPT80 as bottomless , and you'll be right

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobrent View Post
    Treat all puddles on Sawpit and CPT80 as bottomless , and you'll be right
    Haha!

Sawpit on the exit bog we will try to avoid. Our mapped trail takes a different exit. All to be confirmed on the Weekend.

The bog on CPT80 can be better to take on rather than skirting it cross camber in the grease. The exit is steep though which is a different issue.

nitro - are the trails particularly wet at the moment? I know that the Watagans are fully capable of being greasy even in the middle of the drought, but I'd hope that the bogs are down a bit.

Visitor

Not sure
    In Thailand at the moment .
    Was up there 2 weekends ago and was very dry.

Enjoy your time there. Will you be back for Grease Monkey? (Obviously leading question.)

Visitor

Will be back , but busy until after Willowglen , then may not have a driveable Jeep.
    Day I get back I have to put new ball joints in a HP housing I'm building.
    Still have to plate the roof and get towbar with lifting lugs back on.

I would love to join if you’ll have me. Our TJ is only on 31” muddies, however I would like to think it makes up for it with the short wheelbase and 2” lift.

As I have not heard back, I won’t be joining you today. Just wanted to ensure you don’t wait for me thinking I am just going to show up. Best of luck out there today.