Thread: Recommendations to purchase & install elockers and new gear ratios

Visitor

Default Recommendations to purchase & install elockers and new gear ratios

Hi all. I want to install elockers front n back, at same to update diff gears for 33" tyres. Current ratio is 3.07. Looking for advice of best source and to have them installed.. im in caringbah, happy to travel across the city.

Think best ratio would be 4.11. Plus to upgrade the speedo gear to align to diff ratio n tyre size. I have a 2004 manual tj. Thanks.

Hi Darrin, if you don’t mind travelling over town, give John McDonald a ring for a quote, fit/supply for the Elocker’s unless you can source your own.... Jmac, Diff & Gear, 2/51 Holbeche Road, Arndell Park....02) 9671-5800.... He’s been around for years and is highly regarded and respected in the diff world and 4wd scene....
    Cheers, Stephen T......
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

Hi steve, thanks for the lead!!

I had these guys do mine and I was pretty happy with them although I sourced the parts. In hindsight, I should have just let them source the parts. It would've ended up a lot cheaper.

https://www.drdifferentials.com/
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Visitor

Thanks. Good to know recommendations. I see there webpage refers to air lockers. Is this what they did on yours? Im thinking elockers as seem to be less hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdarrin View Post
    Thanks. Good to know recommendations. I see there webpage refers to air lockers. Is this what they did on yours? Im thinking elockers as seem to be less hassles.
    I had an elocker fitted to the back and an auto locker fitted to the front of mine
    #366. TJ Wrangler Golden Eagle

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdarrin View Post
    I'd recommend checking out Stephan's video on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYZo--7Xh4

The E lockers (this happens with Rubicon lockers too) need a rotation of the tyre before they engage which leaves your lockers un-engaged in technical sections where you need "to and fro" a bit to get lines right. The TJM air locker has less pressurised components so should be more reliable than the ARB.

AND then there is the convenience factor. My new lockers are ARB because, just easier. I would not have changed the Rubicon lockers due only to the engagement thing. We are replacing the whole diff so decided to go air lock while we were at it.