Thread: Tires and fenders legal discussion.

Default Tires and fenders legal discussion.

Hi Folks

I am currently running on 32s with no lift 17*9 with offset 1 and planning to upgrade to AEV 2.5 lift and 33s on same rim.

However, my tires already stick out bit from fenders(please see attached picture) and if I put 33 it will be more stick out from the fenders would that be illegal in Australia?

If it is illegal what I can do for it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that tyres that protrude beyond bodywork or flares are illegal, so unfortunately you may not be...

Fortunately you drive a Wrangler and there are a zillion places where you can order aftermarket, bigger, better flares!

eg http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/accessories/flares/ or http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/je...on/Flares.aspx or https://www.jkwarehouse.com.au/shop/wheel_arch_flares or even our good mates from WA https://www.sbroffroad.com.au/Fender-Flares

We have lots of people in the club with aftermarket flares. If you are at the meeting tomorrow night, ask around!

Hope that helps,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 05-03-19 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks Dave

Dave's right. I extended the wheelbase on my WJ and had wheel/tyre combinations that took tyre line outside the body-line.I had fewer choices for a source of wheel flares but imported a set from Thailand via ebay. Fitting them yourself can be scary - drilling holes into every body panel on the car just seems so wrong! But, you gotta do it. Good luck!
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepmuggle View Post
    Dave's right. I extended the wheelbase on my WJ and had wheel/tyre combinations that took tyre line outside the body-line.I had fewer choices for a source of wheel flares but imported a set from Thailand via ebay. Fitting them yourself can be scary - drilling holes into every body panel on the car just seems so wrong! But, you gotta do it. Good luck!
    Darrell
    Thanks Darrell

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by martin903 View Post
    I dont think its illegal mostly trucks tires are wide especially towing trucks we are running a lot of trucks in our <spam link removed> company so here in new York there is no issue in that but make sure to confirm it at your country.

Hi Martin903, as this is an Australian based page, it definitely is illegal here in NSW Australia. We are not allowed to have ANY tyre protruding outside of the fenders.

Ben.
    Last edited by OlegIv; 07-08-19 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spam link removed

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Have a chat to Frank and Jonathon (ATV) they deal with this stuff all the time. In reality as long as the Jeep looks "right" you've solved 90% of the issue. The AEV 2" lift on 33" tyres does look "right". If you get a job's worth copper testing your compliance you will receive a notice.

Some Jeepers simply add a length of rubber section around the outside of the fender. Otherwise look to new fenders. Keep an eye on which ones though - some will impact your clearance.

Summary - chat to ATV.
    Last edited by Dru; 16-08-19 at 03:59 PM.

Hi Roshan. The NSW Vehicle Standards Information (VSI) 6 can be downloaded as a pdf by following this link. See p7, Item 13 for modifications permitted to tyres. VSI 9 is focused on wheels and tyres and that contains the technical specs for wheel/tyre combinations that project beyond the bodyline. Download this VSI as a pdf and check out p4 where the bodyline issue is referred to in the bullet points.
    It took me a couple of days of checking and cross-checking to make sure I'd got my new combination right. Alternatively, as Dru suggests, you could ask the experts at ATV.