Thread: Trouble with Installing tow hitch on JK

Default Trouble with Installing tow hitch on JK

Hello,

I need a bit of Jeep expertise’s help here please

I want to install a tow hitch as a recovery point but I noticed that the number plate is part of the rear bumper and it’s blocking the tow hitch to be installed. Here are some photos of my jeep. Just wondering if any of you had a similar problem and how you installed the rear recovery. I hope there is a way to avoid changing the entire rear bumper.

Cheers
    Roya

IMG_5062.JPGIMG_5061.JPGIMG_5060.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by roya; 17-11-19 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roya View Post
    Hello,

I want to install a tow hitch as a recovery point but I noticed that the number plate is part of the rear bumper and it’s blocking the tow hitch to be installed. Here are some photos of my jeep. Just wondering if any of you had a similar problem and how you installed the rear recovery. I hope there is a way to avoid changing the entire rear bumper.

Cheers
    Roya

IMG_5062.JPGIMG_5061.JPGIMG_5060.JPG

What tow hitch did you get?

In the Mopar / genuine one there is some (pretty average) instructions and an extra bracket etc to relocate the number plate.
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

I haven’t purchased any tow hitch. The area the holds the number plate is not detachable and it’s part of the rear bumper. Even if I move the number plate, the plastic behind it, will be on the way of tow hitch.

I haven’t purchased any tow hitch. The area the holds the number plate is not detachable and it’s part of the rear bumper. Even if I move the number plate, the plastic behind it, will be on the way of tow hitch.

OK cool - well the method of dealing with the towbar install changes with the kit.
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

I bought the Haymen Reese which sits behind the bumper. To install you cut out the square and pass the tongue through. The number plate then sits over the top of the hole on a spring.

No need to move the plate lights and looks stock when there's no tongue.

Thanks for your comments Peo and SnakeDoctor

So far my understanding is to cut the square and pass through the tow hitch and cover it by number plate flip-up? Is that correct?

Thanks
    Roya

Thanks for your comments Peo and SnakeDoctor

So far my understanding is to cut the square and pass through the tow hitch and cover it by number plate flip-up? Is that correct?

Thanks
    Roya
    Correct. The alternative would be use a plate relocation kit and then you don't have to worry about the flip

My number plate was moved to the center of the spare wheel with a bracket that goes with it all. The hitch was no problem as I have the Mopar rear bar as well but there are plenty of options to move the number plate.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Thanks Steve