Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NSW Outback and Opals - July 2020

Gday Dave.
    Can you please put me on the maybe list for the NSW trip as atm I’m planing on waiting till the borders open as seeing south Australia So expecting to leave Sydney on the 28 July. .
    I’m planing on using most of your original trip notes up till Marree then heading off on the Oodnadatta track possibly even heading to Uluru for a few days then to mt dare and doing the French line and connecting again with your notes at poppel corner and following your notes again.
    Hoping to do it all in 3 weeks.
    Any hint or tips for planing would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    Gday Dave.
    Can you please put me on the maybe list for the NSW trip as atm I’m planing on waiting till the borders open as seeing south Australia So expecting to leave Sydney on the 28 July. .
    I’m planing on using most of your original trip notes up till Marree then heading off on the Oodnadatta track possibly even heading to Uluru for a few days then to mt dare and doing the French line and connecting again with your notes at poppel corner and following your notes again.
    Hoping to do it all in 3 weeks.
    Any hint or tips for planing would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Mariner,

No worries, I'll put you back on the Maybes. I'll email you the plan I have for Uluru etc 2021 as it sounds like you might be going a year early. I think 3 weeks is optimistic unless you are doing more tar and less dirt... It's a long way and it's nice to stop and enjoy from time to time.

Let me know what you decide.

Dave

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I am still employed Dave, so i'm definitely unable to make this trip.
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
    Unfortunately (fortunately?) I am still employed Dave, so i'm definitely unable to make this trip.

Oh well, that's a pity, but great news! Next time we'll make it interstate!

Dave

Hi All,

I’m sure we all watched the news of the National Cabinet Meeting last night while holding our breath, as I think that was the last possibility that South Australia might have announced that they would open their border to NSW early. Unfortunately it was not to be, they won’t open before 20 July which is too late for us. There is even the possibility that if the situation in Victoria gets worse then the border closures could be extended. Mariner and Marah dropped back to “maybe” for our trip as they thought they would try to get to South Australia on the 28th. I hope they have more luck, but if you still want to come with us, more than welcome!

It’s time to accept that we are only going to be doing an Outback NSW touring trip in July. Which may actually be a good thing. If worst comes to worst and one of our group becomes ill, we will not be as remote as we would in SA, and much closer to medical facilities. Community transmission is the new thing ☹
    As I said two weeks ago, the Outback NSW trip will also be a bit less hard core. Shorter daily drives on probably better tracks, so it’s going to be a bit more of a holiday – and I think I need a holiday!

I am going to call Wilpena, Arkaroola, Copley and Mungerannie – all the places in SA that I had reserved campsites for us, and CANCEL. We will not be coming home through Nyngan, so I will cancel our camp sites there as well

If you had booked other accommodation (eg a motel or cabin) at Wilpena, Arkaroola, Copley, Mungerannie, Innaminka or Nyngan, I suggest you call and cancel those. If you still had accommodation booked in Birdsville, you should cancel that too. I did get my camping refund from Birdsville back in April. I hope everyone else did.

I have reserved Unpowered Camping at all the spots we plan to stop in NSW – I have just emailed everyone with Camping Bookings and Prices. I am going to call White Cliffs and Tibooburra and change the dates that we will be with them. Tibooburra was originally 22 July and White Cliffs 23 July. On our new NSW Outback Itinerary White Cliffs will be 14 July and Tibooburra 15 July. If you had booked at the White Cliffs Underground Motel, you will need to call them and change the date. Same if you booked a cabin at Tibooburra.

I am also going to call Broken Hill. We are staying there on 12 July as per our original plan, but I will add the extra day 13 July to the booking. Our bookings in Cobar on 11 July do not need changing, unless you no longer want to come along.

If you would like to call any of the new places we will be staying – Wanaaring, Bourke, Lightning Ridge, Tamworth, Gloucester – and book other than unpowered camping, please do. And please say you are with the Sydney Jeep Club group so they can adjust the number of campsites we need. All the contact details are in the emailed Camping Bookings and Prices.

What else?

As we won’t be going as far North, days are likely to be cool, and nights COLD. Potentially 0 degrees at night and high teens to low 20’s during the day. Be prepared.

Toilet paper is disappearing from supermarket shelves again. Even though we will now be staying at places with amenities EVERY night, it would be a good idea to bring a supply just in case.

Oh, and as we are spending two nights in the caravan park opposite Lightning Ridge artesian hot pool, bring your swimmers!

Where do you want to meet up on Saturday 11th?

I’m aiming to stop at the Shell Servo at the corner of Magpie Hollow Rd and the Great Western Hwy as you arrive in Lithgow at 9.00am for a coffee. Happy to meet there. Otherwise the Honey Haven just outside Mudgee at about 10.30 for coffee and MEAD!!! 2 Hill End Rd, Mudgee. I’ll aim to leave there around 11.00am and be in Dubbo for lunch, then of course Cobar for the night. I’ll use Channel 15 on the radio (Club Channel) and everyone has my phone number…

Please get in touch if you have any questions or to let me know your plans, and I’m going to start making phone calls next.

Thanks everyone, see you all in 2 weeks today!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 30-06-20 at 02:54 PM.

Hi Dave, We're happy to meet at the Shell Servo. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RD0401 View Post
    Hi Dave, We're happy to meet at the Shell Servo. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
    Awesome! 2 weeks about now we should be somewhere around Nyngan!

Dave

Right, have made all the cancellations, and all the new camping bookings, so ready to go! If you need to change any non-camping bookings, please don't forget.

Annotation 2020-06-29 161312.jpg

Now just have to wait 11 more days...

We briefly dropped down to 9 Jeeps (JamesM's GC is not being reliable), but a couple of hours later we were back up to 10 as Brian will come as far as Bourke before running back to Sydney a few days early for appointments.

So I reckon we will have a great trip! Really, really ready to get out of Sydney and into the wide open spaces.

Let me know if you wish to convoy out to Cobar - I’m aiming to stop at the Shell Servo at the corner of Magpie Hollow Rd and the Great Western Hwy as you arrive in Lithgow at 9.00am for a coffee. Happy to meet there. Otherwise the Honey Haven just outside Mudgee at about 10.30 for coffee and MEAD!!! 2 Hill End Rd, Mudgee. I’ll aim to leave there around 11.00am and be in Dubbo for lunch, then of course Cobar for the night. I’ll use Channel 15 on the radio (Club Channel) and everyone has my phone number… Have heard back from 2 so far.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 29-06-20 at 04:26 PM.

Yep - made the right decision...

BREAKING South Australia scraps July 20 border opening
    10:29

South Australia will no longer open its borders on July 20 to Victoria.

It is understood reopening the borders to NSW and the ACT was still being considered, but Victorians would not be allowed to enter SA next month.

Default NSW Outback and Opals - July 2020

Hi All,

It’s been pretty quiet for the last week or so, which I hope means everyone is ready to hear West - I am! Just need to put everything in the Jeep!!

I spoke to a few of us on Zoom before the club meeting last Wednesday, and have heard from just about everyone since my emails a week and a half ago. I cancelled all the South Australia bookings, and booked 8 campsites everywhere we are going in NSW after Broken Hill. Brian told me he has booked other accommodation – not camping – everywhere he could which is great. I know that Eva was planning to go to the Underground Motel in White Cliffs back on the old dates (so I have 7 campsites in White Cliffs). I hope everyone has managed to change the dates of any other accommodation you booked as necessary.

We are down to 9 Jeeps as Adrian sent me an email to say he couldn’t come, but we are still at 15 people as Brian’s wife will be joining him (hence the other accommodation I reckon we are going to have a great group and a great trip.

Most of us are meeting at the Shell Station at the corner of Magpie Hollow Rd and the Great Western Highway on the approach to Lithgow at 9.00am on Saturday morning.
    GarryC lives in Mudgee and will meet us at the Honey Haven just outside Mudgee at about 10.30 for coffee - 2 Hill End Rd, Mudgee. I’ll aim to leave there around 11.00am and be in Dubbo for lunch, then of course Cobar for the night.

We’ll use Channel 15 on the radio (Club Channel) and everyone has my phone number, so hopefully we will all get to Cobar successfully… If anyone is travelling separately, be very careful approaching Cobar around dusk, there are lots of goats that wander onto the road. Beware of kangaroos around dawn and dusk everywhere!

It will be cold, especially at night, I hope it won’t be wet, and we will be able to swim Lightning Ridge – be prepared for anything.

One last thing that I should say, I hope everyone is well! If anyone is feeling ill before leaving Sydney then you should reconsider the trip. Last thing we want is a trail of illness following us through the outback!

See you all on Saturday! Please call if you have any last minute questions.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 09-07-20 at 01:05 PM.