Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NSW Outback and Opals - July 2020

Hi All,

Just an update 'chat'.

Had a bit more interest in the trip at the first meeting of the year, so I am expecting a full convoy of 10 Jeeps (maybe we can squeeze in a couple more if we need to). Going to be another awesome trip (as long as it doesn't rain way out west like it did last year)

A couple of people have told me that they have been booking cabins already, and that some places are already fully booked. That really surprised me as I usually book over Easter with no problems.

Anyway, I have booked a cabin for GregD and myself (separate beds thankyou ) in Cobar for Saturday 11 July, and I have also booked in Broken Hill for Sunday 12 July. Both places had plenty of availability, and in fact Broken Hill said I was the first person to book a cabin there.
    I hope that those who have booked, have the correct date and place?

Days 1 & 2 Saturday 11 & Sunday 12 July - Sydney to Broken Hill via Cobar

Night
    Location and Contact
    11 Jul
    Cobar Caravan Park, 101 Marshall Street Cobar – Ph 02 6836 2425.
    12 Jul
    Broken Hill Tourist Park, 142 Rakow Street, Broken Hill - Ph 08 8087 3841 /
    1800 803 842. Camp sites and cabins available.

I will book all the rest of the camp sites for all of us as per the Itinerary later on. I am planning to camp everywhere we go after Broken Hill, and in some places camping is the only option.

If you wish to try for other accommodation at eg Wilpena Pound, Copley, Mungerannie, Birdsville, Innaminka, Tibooburra, White Cliffs, Nyngan all the contact details are in the itinerary, please make sure you cross reference the dates.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 15-02-20 at 09:01 AM.

Ps, Cobar called me back today to confirm my booking, and added that anyone else booking should say they are with the Sydney Jeep Club group to get a 10% discount!

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Member

Hi Dave .
    As Discussed plan to come with my camper
    by bass desert spend extra night at Birdsville.
    Cheers.
    Brian,

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Hi Dave .
    As Discussed plan to come with my camper
    by bass desert spend extra night at Birdsville.
    Cheers.
    Brian,
    Thanks Brian,
    Added!

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Checking in on the current river flooding and while the flooding in western Qld seems a potential concern I think it is coming up OK.

The flooding in St George will continue in to NSW but generally feeds down into Menindi - as long as water has backed off below road/weir level should actually be a good thing. Cooper is also picking up a bit but again not likely an impact on this trip.

Some minor flooding in Bedourie (north of Birdsville) which likely have little impact and likely too early to be a bother.

Hi Dru,

I know, I'm a bit of a compulsive watcher of the river conditions through the BOM. For our trip the ones that need to stay low are Eyre Creek and the Warburton River.

If there is a flood on the Warburton - http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDS60250/I...7013.plt.shtml - then we can't get to the K1 Line (the Warburton crossing was closed all of last year)

If Eyre Creek is flooded - http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_f....html#Georgina - then we can't get to Birdsville from Poepple Corner.

Hopefully, if there isn't a massive rainfall/flood event like in February last year in Western Qld, we should be okay.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 19-05-20 at 09:36 AM.

Hi All,

Last week I sent a group email including a Registration Form - so I have everyone's full details and can go ahead and make all the camping bookings.

I also asked if you could let me know if you have already booked other accommodation or would prefer to camp at Wilpena, Copley, Mungerannie, Birdsville, Innaminka, Tibooburra, White Cliffs and Nyngan, so I know how many sites to book.

I've heard back from half of us, if everyone else could email me back with that info, or bring it hard copy on Wednesday to the meeting, that would be great!

Any questions, please let me know. Just over 4 months to go

Dave

Hi Dave, I and my friend would like to join this iconic trip if there's still room for 1 more Jeep. I'll contact Birdsville and buy the Desert Parks Pass once my spot is confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepney View Post
    Hi Dave, I and my friend would like to join this iconic trip if there's still room for 1 more Jeep. I'll contact Birdsville and buy the Desert Parks Pass once my spot is confirmed.
    Hi James,

It'll be great to have you along! Just make sure that Grand Cherokee of yours is in tip top condition before we set off as it can be a hard trip on vehicles!

I'll send you an Itinerary and Registration Form and any other information from home this evening, then you can make any bookings that you want in Cobar and Broken Hill, and then yes everyone needs to pay a deposit with Birdsville. Not advising anyone to get their Desert Parks Pass just yet, can do that in early June.

Thanks and talk soon I hope!

Dave

...and with that we are back to 15 people (or $15 per person at Wilpena )
    Last edited by Dave; 17-03-20 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks Dave. Will do prepare. Don't want to have a breakdown and delay the group or pay expensive towing fee.