Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69

Thread: REVIEWED AGAIN- NSW Outback and Opals - July 2020

  1. #21
    Club General Committee Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croydon
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,700

    Default Simpson Desert “Third Time Lucky” July 2020

    Hi All,

    I did hear back from White Cliffs caravan park. Their camping fee has gone up to $20 per site. On the flip side we are now back up to 10 Jeeps and 15 people as JamesM and friend have joined us, so Wilpena Pound has dropped to $15 per person.

    In case you have been following the desert conditions, the desert officially reopened for the year on 16 March. However because of the rain in February, the Warburton Crossing (our way in to the desert from Mungerannie) and Eyre Creek (our way out again) are flooded and closed at the moment. As long as there is no more rain in the next few months they should have well and truly dried out by the time we go.

    And of course we will have to take into account the travel advise from the government. Currently advising against all non essential travel. Tasmania, Northern Territory and South Australia now require 2 weeks isolation. Will the rest of the mainland states close? Will they open again by July? If they don’t then we will not be able to do this trip. Maybe we could do something NSW only... Lots to wait and see about this year [emoji852]

    Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 19-05-20 at 10:37 AM.

  2. #22
    Club Treasurer & Membership Greg D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Pennant Hills
    Age
    65
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Count me in for whatever is on. In 90 days I am going to want to go somewhere, anywhere!����

  3. #23
    Club General Committee Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croydon
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg D View Post
    Count me in for whatever is on. In 90 days I am going to want to go somewhere, anywhere!����
    Yes!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #24

    Default

    I am still in!!
    SJC #319

  5. #25

    Default

    That trip within NSW is still a good alternative, Dave. I'm still in.... hope we're still "3rd Time Lucky".
    Last edited by jeepney; 07-04-20 at 08:48 AM.

  6. #26
    Club General Committee Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croydon
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeepney View Post
    That trip within NSW is still a good alternative, Dave. I'm still in.... hope we're still "3rd Time Lucky".
    Quote Originally Posted by Goneagain View Post
    I am still in!!
    IF we are allowed, it would be great to do something! To be decided in early June I think. Hopefully we will have a bit more info by then and can actually make an informed decision!

    Dave

  7. #27
    Club General Committee Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croydon
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Hi All,

    This afternoon we all received an email from Birdsville Caravan Park advising:

    "Due to the public health directives put in place for COVID-19, non-essential travel must be deferred for the foreseeable future. Because of this, we are cancelling and refunding all accommodation booked for the remainder of this calendar year. We are sad to do so, however this is necessary to protect the safety of all."
    To receive your refund please email:
    refunds@diamantina.qld.gov.au
    with the following information:
    - Reservation Number
    - Full Name
    - Best Contact Number

    I have not asked for my refund yet. I was surprised that they are closing for the rest of the year so I emailed back to ask about July - it's still 3 months away.
    The Big Red Bash (10 days before we were to get there) is cancelled. But if the caravan park is closed then they are also implying no accommodation for the September Birdsville Races as well... So I am waiting for a reply.

    I also contacted Wilpena Pound (South Australia). They are closed until June 30 and will advise. If South Australia is open and travel restrictions eased, we still have options!

    I will advise everyone when I hear back from Birdsville re applying for refunds.

    Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 08-04-20 at 07:25 PM.

  8. #28
    Club General Committee Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croydon
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,700

    Default UNDER REVIEW - Simpson Desert July 2020 - UNDER REVIEW

    Hi All,

    Another update.

    I heard back from Birdsville and I contacted Diamantina Shire Council - who will give us our refunds on application.

    They confirmed that Birdsville is basically shut for the rest of the year. No Big Red Bash in July, No Birdsville Races in September. No visitors staying in the caravan park.

    So, our trip to Queensland is CANCELLED. We will not be able to go up the K1 Line to Poepple Corner and on to Birdsville. Please do as your email from Birdsville said and claim your refund.

    BUT, as I said yesterday, Wilpena Pound (South Australia) is still only closed to the end of June. I am going to hope that in July the SA State border will have reopened and we will still be able to go West from Broken Hill and on to the Flinders Ranges, Lake Eyre, Innaminka.
    I will re plan the itinerary and email everyone with the new details. I quite understand if anyone wants to drop off the trip list if we can't go to Poepple Corner, but I reckon we could still have a great trip!

    IF South Australia is still off limits in July, I already started thinking about a trip just within Northern NSW (if we are allowed out of Sydney), and I will email that to everyone as well. Some light reading for everyone if nothing else.

    So, third time NOT so lucky, but hopefully we will still be able to do something in July!

    Very sorry,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 10-04-20 at 06:32 PM.

  9. #29

    Default

    Keep us updated Dave, getting itchy feet and with no desert it means campers are Ok again (I assume), might find us taking the spot of someone who drops out if work allows.

    Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

  10. #30
    Club General Committee Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croydon
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Keep us updated Dave, getting itchy feet and with no desert it means campers are Ok again (I assume), might find us taking the spot of someone who drops out if work allows.

    Cheers
    Steve
    Sounds good, actually thinking if we can go to south Australia to head to Arkaroola amongst other places. You can show us around if if if!!
    Going to play with itinerary over the weekend, will email around, but would be camper friendly!
    Dave


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dave; 10-04-20 at 01:33 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •