Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NSW Outback and Opals - July 2020

Movement in the last few days. Unfortunately Kevin had to pull out of the trip due to changed work commitments, but we have picked up two new couples with GaryC and DanielD and partners, bringing us up to 11 definite Jeeps and 2 still in the maybe list.

Just hoping that SA does not go the way of Qld and put the opening of the border back to after July!

Still hoping

Dave

Another update from out west. The Musicians Club reopens on 1 June! Best place to go for dinner in Broken Hill. The one positive if we are forced to stay in NSW is that we can go there twice!!

Think I am looking forward to getting on the road...

Six weeks or so to go.

Dave

South Australia Roads and National Parks are starting to stress me! Today they have posted this:

Level Post Bay Track PAR - Closed from 2 June 2020 until further notice for public safety. No camping at Level Post Bay.
    Walkers Crossing Public Access Route – Closed until further notice
    Warburton Crossing - OPEN to 4WD Drive to track conditions, Caution at water crossings, bulldust holes and areas subject to ponding and sandy areas

Level Post Bay is the track to Lake Eyre. Walkers Crossing is still closed. And just to tease us the Warburton is open, which would have been our route to Poepple Corner and Qld...

I know we still don't know if we will even be allowed into SA, let alone Qld, but it seems like they are conspiring to stop us...

Dave

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    South Australia Roads and National Parks are starting to stress me! Today they have posted this:

Level Post Bay Track PAR - Closed from 2 June 2020 until further notice for public safety. No camping at Level Post Bay.
    Walkers Crossing Public Access Route – Closed until further notice
    Warburton Crossing - OPEN to 4WD Drive to track conditions, Caution at water crossings, bulldust holes and areas subject to ponding and sandy areas

Level Post Bay is the track to Lake Eyre. Walkers Crossing is still closed. And just to tease us the Warburton is open, which would have been our route to Poepple Corner and Qld...

I know we still don't know if we will even be allowed into SA, let alone Qld, but it seems like they are conspiring to stop us...

Dave

Aaaaargh! How painful!

Because replanning seems to be a thing now, like social distancing and protesting in large groups...

If we CAN go to South Australia, but if Muloorina Station / Lake Eyre and Walkers Crossing remain closed (as above), I have another option to replace the nights at Muloorina and Mungerannie, and still do some pretty special desert 4WDing.

Check out https://www.naturefoundation.org.au/...nature-reserve

Sounds awesome!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 11-06-20 at 03:28 PM.

Looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Visitor

Hi Dave.
    Not sure now if i can make it have day surgery applied for awaiting date some time in the next 30 days.
    Bound to happen during trip.
    At this stage it would be better to say no and give someone else a spot then to have to pull out at short notice
    and leave a vacant spot.
    If I find out early enough will advise.
    One day i will get there.
    Cheers.
    Brian.

Thanks Brian,

I'll leave you on the list, but perhaps bump you back to Maybe for now? Then you can let me know.

If it happens soon you may still be able to come along. Or if they can't do it till August...

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 13-06-20 at 04:34 PM.

More good news :

Premier Gladys Berejiklian made the announcement this morning, that up to 20 people would be able to gather in groups outside from June 13. South Australia already allows groups of 20.

So our group of 17 (at the moment) is now allowed

Still waiting for the border to open...

Hi All,

As you probably heard on the news last night, South Australia is not planning to re-open its border until 20 July, which is too late for us. We were supposed to be driving from Broken Hill to Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges one month from today, 13 July.

Which means that unless they change their minds again in the next week or two and bring the opening forward, it looks like the only trip we will be able to do is Outback NSW.
    I am going to wait for another two weeks, then if there are no further changes to the border (ie South Aus will not open before 20 July) I will cancel our bookings in South Australia, and re-book as per the NSW Outback plan I sent a month or so ago – and emailed to everyone again.

In two weeks I will send another email to confirm what I am doing bookings wise. IF by some miracle South Australia decides to open by 13 July, then my plan would still be to go there!
    BUT I think it is getting more likely that it will be NSW only, so I will let you know the new bookings and costs, and let you know what I have cancelled or changed the date of – eg we would still go to White Cliffs and Tibooburra, but sooner. So if you have booked the Underground Motel at White Cliffs you would need to change the date…

The NSW trip is not as long as the original Simpson Desert plan or the South Australia plan, it is 13 days instead of 15 and about 4000km down from 5000km. It is also not as remote, and unless conditions are bad the driving probably won’t be as challenging. Probably similar to the Darling River Run trip we did last year.

If anyone no longer wants to come along, I do understand. Please let me know.

That said I am REALLY looking forward to getting out of Sydney! It is still going to be great fun, and we are going to see some real NSW outback bush and towns and some places that are not quite towns! If you haven’t been out West, it will surprise you!

If you DO still want to come along, please let me know, as I haven’t heard from about half of our group in months. We have 10 vehicles and 17 people on the Definite list – although I haven’t received GaryC’s rego form back with his details, or heard from him since he posted up to come along.

We also have three Maybe’s, and I haven’t heard from SteveF or MartinH since they posted up. I have emailed a blank rego form for Gary, Steve and Martin to send back if they do want to come along. As this trip will be a bit less demanding, more Jeeps will be okay – as long as we are allowed more than 20 people in a group by mid July ��

In two weeks I will send another email to confirm what I am doing bookings wise. IF by some miracle South Australia decides to open by 13 July, then my plan would still be to go there! I will need final numbers and group details.

Hope to hear from everyone soon,

Dave