Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: REVIEWED - Outback Deserts and Tracks July 2020

Movement in the last few days. Unfortunately Kevin had to pull out of the trip due to changed work commitments, but we have picked up two new couples with GaryC and DanielD and partners, bringing us up to 11 definite Jeeps and 2 still in the maybe list.

Just hoping that SA does not go the way of Qld and put the opening of the border back to after July!

Still hoping

Dave

Another update from out west. The Musicians Club reopens on 1 June! Best place to go for dinner in Broken Hill. The one positive if we are forced to stay in NSW is that we can go there twice!!

Think I am looking forward to getting on the road...

Six weeks or so to go.

Dave

And another update, but this time from the Bureau of Meteorology. They are forecasting a wetter than average winter, which means that even in the arid zone, we may get some rain, which may close some tracks to us.

If we are only allowed to do the NSW trip (still don't know about the borders), I don't think this will be a problem. There are plenty of different ways to get around, even if it means more tar and less dirt

But if we are in South Australia and it has been wet, then we may have to make a big detour! The plan is to go up the Birdsville Track and do Walkers Crossing to Innaminka, but it is not yet open after the rain in Feb. Hopefully it will be by the time we get there, unless there has been more rain. Walkers Crossing is on the Cooper Creek floodplain, and it does flood.

If we can't do Walkers Crossing, we won't go to Mungerannie after returning to Marree from Lake Eyre.

What we would do instead is head South from Marree, then turn left at Lyndhurst and take the main Strzelecki Track to Innaminka. From Marree this is about 100km shorter than going via Mungerannie and Walkers Crossing. BUT it is still 498 km from fuel at Lyndhurst to fuel at Innaminka, so we should all still be carrying 100 litres!

We would not do it in one run. We would stop and bush camp at Montecollina Bore, about half way up the Strzelecki. No toilets (dig your own), and you need all your own supplies, but there is a large bore fed lake for a swim if you wish.

So Day 9 might have to be Muloorina Station to Montecollina Bore = 352km, and Day 10 Montecollina Bore to Innaminka = 278km, all on dirt.

Similarly if the Old Strzelecki Track – Day 12 – is flooded, we may need to repeat the ‘new’ Strzelecki as far as Merty Merty, which would add an extra 50 or 60km but on a faster road.

I have added these details at the back of the Itinerary, which I will have copies of IF we can go to South Australia in July. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 4 Hours Ago at 03:09 PM.