Thread: REVIEWED - Outback Deserts and Tracks July 2020

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default REVIEWED - Outback Deserts and Tracks July 2020

Okay, as you know we can't go to Queensland this year. The Premier had said that Qld will be closed until mid July, and yesterday (May 1) she said September! So unfortunately we can't go to the Simpson Desert and Birdsville, but with restrictions starting to lift and caravan parks and camping reopening in Phase 2 - hopefully June - we should still be able to go somewhere in the Outback!

We put 2 new plans together, which I emailed to everyone on the original list, plus a couple who have joined or said maybe since April.

The first new plan is to go through Outback South Australia. At this point they seem to be planning to reopen that state by the start of July. I have made bookings at Wilpena and Arkaroola, will need to change the dates at Copley and Mungerannie, but the rest of the trip follows the same dates as the original Simpson Desert plan.

Days 1 & 2 Saturday 11 & Sunday 12 July - Sydney to Broken Hill via Cobar = 1167km
    Day 3 Monday 13 July – Broken Hill to Wilpena Pound - Broken Hill to Yunta 198km, Yunta to Wilpena via Waukaringa Ruins and Erudina 248km = 446km
    Day 4 Tuesday 14 July – Around the Flinders Ranges - Bunyeroo Gorge, Brachina Gorge, Blinman Silver Mine 186km
    Day 5 Wednesday 15 July – Wilpena to Arkaroola 235km
    Day 6 Thursday 16 July – Around Arkaroola - There are guided and self guided 4WD tracks and heaps more to do 100km
    Day 7 Friday 17 July – Arkaroola to Copley via Leigh Creek 169km
    Day 8 Saturday 18 July – Copley to Muloorina (Level Post Bay - Lake Eyre) Copley to Marree via Farina Ruins. Marree to Muloorina including return to Lake Eyre 256km
    Day 9 Sunday 19 July – Muloorina to Mungerannie - Muloorina to Marree. Marree to Mungerannie via Birdsville Track and the Sturt Stony Desert 259km
    Day 10 Monday 20 July – Mungerannie to Innaminka via the Birdsville and Walkers Crossing tracks – Sturt Stony Desert - 401km No fuel between Mungerannie and Innaminka, and a long day drive.
    Day 11 Tuesday 21 July – Around Innaminka - Burkes Grave and the Dig Tree 100km
    Day 12 Wednesday 22 July – Innaminka to Tibooburra - Innaminka to Merty Merty via Old Strzelecki Track – Strzelecki Desert. Merty Merty to Cameron Corner to Tibooburra 373km
    Day 13 Thursday 23 July – Tibooburra to White Cliffs - Tibooburra to White Cliffs via Milparinka 288km
    Day 14 Friday 24 July - White Cliffs to Wilcannia to Nyngan 487km
    Day 15 Saturday 25 July Nyngan to Sydney 557km

Total Trip Distance Sydney to Sydney = 4768km (call it 5000km with side trips)

The second plan is just in case South Australia does NOT open its border in time, so we will use our bookings in Cobar and Broken Hill and do a tour around Outback Northwestern NSW. Not as challenging, but still out of Sydney, dirt roads, wide open spaces and camping!

Day 1 Saturday 11 - Sydney to Cobar - Sydney to Cobar via Mudgee and Dubbo 685km
    Day 2 Sunday 12 July - Cobar to Broken Hill - Cobar to Broken Hill via Ivanhoe and Menindee 593km
    Day 3 Monday 13 July – Around Broken Hill Take the day to see the sights, Silverton, Mundi Mundi Plains, RFDS Base etc 100km
    Day 4 Tuesday 14 July - Broken Hill to White Cliffs - Broken Hill to White Cliffs via Mutawintji National Park 272km - Sightseeing around White Cliffs for the afternoon. Buy some Opal and tour an Opal mine.
    Day 5 Wednesday 15 July – White Cliffs to Tibooburra - White Cliffs to Tibooburra via Milparinka 270km
    Day 6 Thursday 16 July – Tibooburra to Wanaaring - Tibooburra to Wanaaring 234km
    Day 7 Friday 17 July – Wanaaring to Bourke - Wanaaring to Bourke 251km
    Day 8 Saturday 18 July – Bourke to Grawin “Club in the Scrub” - Bourke to Grawin “Club in the Scrub” via Brewarrina and the Glengarry Hilton 215km
    Day 9 Sunday 19 July – Grawin to Lightning Ridge - Grawin to Lightning Ridge 60km
    Day 10 Monday 20 July – Around Lightning Ridge - There is a lot to see around Lightning Ridge, and you could buy more opal… 50km
    Day 11 Tuesday 21 July – Lightning Ridge to Tamworth - Lightning Ridge to Tamworth via Walgett, and Narrabri 412km
    Day 12 Wednesday 22 July – Tamworth to Gloucester - Tamworth to Gloucester via The Thunderbolts Way 185km
    Day 13 Thursday 23 July – Gloucester to Sydney - An easy drive home via The Bucketts Way 263km
    Total Trip Distance Sydney to Sydney = 3590km (3700km with side trips)

I have emailed everyone with the new plans (See Page 4 of this thread). If anyone else is interested please PM me with your email address.

We probably won't know which of these plans we will be doing until later in June. Caravan Parks and camp grounds are supposed to reopen in Phase 2 (June) and borders hopefully Stage 3 (by July) We may need to do some rapid changes to bookings - I haven't booked anything in NSW after Broken Hill and won't until we know about South Australia.

Not the same as the original plan, but I reckon we could still have a great trip! Please let me know if you have any questions or want to change your plans. Oh and CAMPER TRAILERS are OKAY for both these trips - as long as they are proper offroad trailers ready for rough dirt tracks!

Please Consider! To go we need AT LEAST 3 vehicles. Maximum number would be 12 to 15 given that these two options are a little less 'unforgiving' than the original Simpson Desert plan.
    Please post below if you would like to come, or if you are thinking about it. I will generate a Definites and a Maybes list. If you would like a, Itinerary, please PM me with your email address.

Thanks,
    Dave

Definites
    1. DaveG
    2. Timothy + 1
    3. AdrianB
    4. Eva & Chris K
    5. GregD
    6. BrianM
    7. Mariner & Marah H
    8. JamesM + 1
    9. EdD & Sarah
    10. GaryC +1
    11. DanielD +1

Maybes
    SteveF
    MartinH

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 6 Days Ago at 01:09 PM.