Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Simpson Desert “Third Time Lucky” July 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    No trailers?
    Hi Dru, that is almost correct.

SteveT might bring his little box trailer with roof top tent. It weighs less than 400kg fully loaded and has a tiny footprint and draw bar. His Rubicon should be able to deal with it on sand dunes.
    Any camper trailer bigger/heavier than that is a no. They get bogged on sand, get stuck on the ramp over at the top of dunes, and are "too hard basket". Parks SA asks people not to bring camper trailers. Not sure that Steve's even qualifies as such.

BrianM is going to follow us on all the 'main' roads with his trailer. As he says he is going to bypass the desert proper and continue up the Birdsville Track, to get to Birdsville a day ahead of us.
    He will not be coming up the K1 line to Poepple Corner with us.
    If he feels up to it, he could leave the camper set up in Birdsville and meet us as we head East on the dunes from Poepple, say at Big Red or even Eyre Creek...
    I have discussed with him that his camper needs to be set up appropriately for the rough conditions through the Flinders, up the Birdsville, down to Innaminka etc, and that he will need sufficient fuel.
    At least we can organise recovery on those 'main' roads relatively easily, as opposed to on the dunes... Hopefully won't be an issue.

I know that I am bending my own rule, hope that clears things up?
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 1 Week Ago at 06:32 PM.

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I know that I am bending my own rule, hope that clears things up?
    Dave
    Cheers Dave.