Quote Originally Posted by nitrobrent View Post
A free spooling winch is essential for a quick recovery.
Could be the difference between Jeep laying down or not.
My Warnie is nearly 20 years old and it can be freespooled with one finger on the hook.
Steel cable.
Hey Brent. Can only agree. The other thing that can get forgotten is that the winch needs re-spooling after it has been used. ..Rope in particular can get locked in from winching operations under load. I've seen the same happen with wire.

On the i-Drive: Kerry loves it and I'm getting used to it. Gear box seems to kick down an extra gear than before but holds pace better and seems smoother. Probably has an impact on fuel economy. On the whole we are not particularly worried about fuel economy (it is a Jeep afterall!) untill we are touring in remote areas. Still places like K1 and QAA line tend to be at much slower pace - last Simpson trip we were close to 14 l/100k in those areas. Which was OK though clearly not what you would want for more intrepid treks with few fuel stops.

Freedom panel insulation

Freedom panel insulation.jpg

Hard to capture in a pic, but we have insulated the roof with these pre-formed pads.Heat through the roof was quite noticeable on the Simpson, hopefully this will help.

Dru'n'Kerry