Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spooky...

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

[Note: click on the pics to get full size.]

Finally the lift has commenced!

Spooky lift.jpg

Almost made if for Camp Coffs - but failed as the ESC/ABS/engine computer dropped into stupid mode. Turns out that the wheel sensors are too long for wheel/hub setup. "Solved" with spacers. Not fully solved as gear change, speedo etc are not right so we have to re-visit the Procal and i Drive. For later.

35" tyres (actually metric system which is closer to 34.3") under standard guards are not legal. The fenders are still to be done.

tyres.jpg

Suspension system has been discussed earlier but it is a hybrid based on Synergy. If you look closely you will see that the extended brake line here is a little twisted and will need replacing before the job is finished. Note that the CAs (Control Arms) are fully adjustable - needed for 4" lift approx. They also need tuning.

front CAs.jpg

Front dif - G2 D44 4.88 gearing. I'm not sure you can see it from the pic, but the pinion angle is slightly overset. This means that the caster has been tweaked just a little excess angle - which to me is a perfect set up compromising the pinion (dif wear) just a tad in order to max set up against death wobble. Note that the angle between dif pinion and caster can't be adjusted but is manufactured in. The G2 is manufactured for a 4" lift, so when you try this with stock difs (or Rubi difs) you will not get as much caster. Another argument to not go beyond 2 1/2" lift - or look to your difs.

G2 front.jpg

Rear dif. Again hard to pick up in the pic, but I don't like the pinion angle this time and will need to have the CAs adjusted. If I am reading things correctly this will extend the wheelbase slightly by pushing the dif further towards the tail. In itself this should provide more highway stability (tuners often try to get as much length as they can), BUT we have had problems in the past with the rear wheels clashing in the guards being too far back. Tuning required anyway.

GA rear.jpg

Shocks - we have gone to Kings racing 20 point adjustable shocks. They are an excess really but we like them. I'm hoping to get Kings engineers into the shop at Seven Slot to carry out the fine tuning. For now though it's "adjusted by idiot" being myself. You can also see the extended stronger sway bar links and brake tube extensions as well.

King shock.jpg

Cables and tubes extended through the rear bar are completely exposed. With my driving they will get hit and take something out for sure. Probably have to do that tidying up myself - don't look forward to it.

Tial cable tidy rqd.jpg

Other things complete are:
    x Sat Nav jumper leads - Kerry managed to translate the model numbers and parts lists, so that is all sorted. Though the rear camera needs a Jeep dealer for something (groan).
    x Dif breathers are in and set.
    x Phone hands free is done.

There is plenty to do though briefly:
    x ESC/iDrive/Procal
    x suspension and shock tune
    x underbody armour
    x roof rack
    x heat discharge hood and snorkel
    x internal shelves then revisit spares and tools

Cheers

Dru'n'Kerry
    Last edited by Dru; 11-03-20 at 12:58 PM.

Any updates ... wow again no expenses spared .. looking great guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Hey Dru - for high steer, did you run into any issues with wheel/tyre clearance because of the Pintlers? What did you end up going with? (Something Core44 specific?)
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
    Hey Dru - for high steer, did you run into any issues with wheel/tyre clearance because of the Pintlers? What did you end up going with? (Something Core44 specific?)
    OK. I’m not at all sure I understand the Q.

personally, and it is a hard felt personal issue, I don’t like and certainly do not recommend any AEV wheel. I have Pintlers and will live with them. Little choice, really.

We have definitely had rubbing, but I don’t see it as a Pinter issue. That is about geometry and set up. The AEV wheels are a well known standard in terms of offset etc. But they have failed many times for us.

Our year of manufacture of the Pinter was apparently not good. We have 6 wheels and over time have had two replaced on warranty and another out of warrantee that was ditched into the garbage bin.

I don’t recommend AEV wheels.