Thread: Blackfellow Hand Trail

Club Member

Question Blackfellow Hand Trail

Has anyone driven this trail recently? Is it open and what’s the condition? Planning to drive it from Lithgow into the Wolgan Valley. Thanks!

Strange name! I am happy to go for a look on a week day. What I look for is whether the entrance to the track is blocked by a gate or a pile of rocks or something. I would never go along very far on my own, just in case!

It's a main road pretty much, nothing tricky about the trail so should be an easy drive, the only bit that may be considered tricky is at the Wolgan valley road end, a few hundred metres in (just past the caves) there is a slight rocky climb as it swings to the right, only about 20m of track. The rest is dirt road mostly. Pretty sure it is open but not 100% sure. Oh, and the name has changed in the last couple of years to Maiyingu Marragu.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

I was out there last weekend and it’s basically a main road, that tricky section a few hundred metres in has mellowed out a lot, I drove it in 2wd last weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Member

Thanks all, much appreciated! And thanks for the name update ... very timely given the global movement at the moment!

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwissJeep View Post
    Thanks all, much appreciated! And thanks for the name update ... very timely given the global movement at the moment!
    The aboriginal name basically means "People's Hand". I've spoken to an aboriginal Parks Ranger and she was adamant that in her mind "Black Fellow's Hand" was racist. I'm not convinced, but offence is judged by the offended. She is a lovely lady and I'm quite happy to change to Maiyingu Marragu.

The trail itself is the main access spine through Newnes. It is a graded trail, but there can be long waits between grading and it can get uncomfortably bumpy at it's worst. There are a few bog holes, all of which can be easily avoided, and at this time of year are likely to be frozen over at night time.

If you have time, consider diverting to Sunny Ridge trail so you get the view over Wolgan Valley. It is out and back, then continue along Maiyingu Marragu. Also see if you can pick up the diversion to Lost Cities - another view.

Cheers

Dru