Thread: Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – 28 June to 25 July 2021

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – June and July 2021

The first bit of possible bad news in relation to this trip, and I can hardly believe that States and Territories are forecasting this far out, but in the news today (11 August 20)

Northern Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner has revealed he will keep the Territory’s border guarded for at least another 18 months from Tuesday and recruit extra police to keep the barriers in place.
    Currently, anyone coming from Sydney or Victoria must complete two weeks quarantine at their own expense if they want to enter the territory, and everyone must fill in a border declaration pass.
    Mr Gunner told ABC 24 the list of banned states and territories was more likely to increase than decrease, and 18 months was a “conservative” estimate for when the borders would be wide open again.
    “We have got an indefinite ban on Victoria, and Sydney keeps bubbling away to a point to I can’t give you a date where that would ever lift,” he said.

Obviously if the NT does not open by July 2021, we would not be able to run the trip as planned - no Chambers Pillar, Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs or Plenty Highway.
    If South Australia and Queensland open, and I guess those are also big 'ifs' then we could cobble together the 2020 planned trip through South Australia or even a "fourth time lucky" K1 Line / Simpson Desert as that doesn't enter the NT, then run north from Birdsville to the Dinosaur Trail...

I really hope (as does the PM) that we get some certainty by the start of next year!

We wait and see I guess,

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 14-08-20 at 07:51 AM.