Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – 28 June to 25 July 2021

Default Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – 28 June to 25 July 2021

This trip is still 10 months away - assuming Covid 19 is resolved by then - so plenty of time to think about it. Since 2020 has been so messed up and we haven’t been able to do as many trips as we’d like, the July Touring Trip had to be reorganized three times, we thought we’d go all out for 2021 with one or two BIG trips!
    (Assuming that the Covid 19 situation has improved and travel is allowed – the Jeep Jamboree planned for April 2021 has already been postponed to 2022)

Starting with Trip 1 - 4 weeks around Central Australia - west through Tibooburra and Cameron Corner, down the Strzelecki Track to Marree, up the Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta, then on to Dalhousie Springs, Mt Dare, Chambers Pillar and Uluru (Ayers Rock). We would then head across to Alice Springs via Kings Canyon and the Western MacDonnell Ranges, then take the Plenty Highway to northern central QLD and spend a few days on the Dinosaur Trail - Boulia, Winton, Richmond and ending up in Hughenden. From there, return to Sydney via Longreach and Charleville, making the whole trip 28 days - 28 June to 25 July Sydney to Sydney. Offroad Camper Trailers welcome!

But wait, there is more.

From the end of the Dinosaur Trail you can join Di and John for Trip 2 – to Cape York and back in July/August. See separate post http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showth...21-July-August

But first, Three States and a Territory - Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail

Part 1 – Sydney to Yulara (Uluru)
    Day 1 – Monday 28 June - Sydney to Byrock via Mudgee, Dubbo and Nyngan - 680km (tar)
    Day 2 – Tuesday 29 June - Byrock to Tibooburra via Bourke and Wanaaring - 497km (tar and dirt)
    Day 3 – Wednesday 30 June - Tibooburra to Lyndhurst via Cameron Corner and the Strzelecki Track - 576km (dirt)
    Day 4 – Thursday 1 July - Lyndhurst to Coward Springs via Maree and the Oodnadatta Track - 210km (tar and dirt)
    Day 5 – Friday 2 July - Coward Springs to Oodnadatta via William Creek and Alegebuckina Bridg - 278km (dirt)
    Day 6 – Saturday 3 July - Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs - 164km (dirt)
    Day 7 – Sunday 4 July - Dalhousie Springs to Mt Dare - 69km (dirt)
    Day 8 – Monday 5 July - Mt Dare to Chambers Pillar via Finke - 273km (dirt)
    Day 9 – Tuesday 6 July - Chambers Pillar to Erldunda - 247km (dirt and tar)
    Day 10 – Wednesday 7 July - Erldunda to Yulara and Yulara to Uluru (sunset sightseeing) - 277km (tar)

If you have family that could fly in, they could join you at Yulara for Part 2.

Part 2 – Uluru to Alice Springs via Kings Canyon (Watarrka) and the Western McDonnell Ranges – The Red Centre Way
    Day 11 – Thursday 8 July - Sightseeing around Uluru and Kata Tjuta - 120km (tar)
    Day 12 – Friday 9 July - Yulara to Watarrka (Kings Canyon) - 303km (tar)
    Day 13 – Saturday 10 July - Watarrka to Glen Helen Gorge McDonnell Ranges via Red Centre Way and Gosse Bluff - 237km (dirt & tar)
    Day 14 – Sunday 11 July - Glen Helen Gorge to Alice Springs via Ormiston Gorge, Serpentine Gorge, Standley Chasm, Simpsons Gap - 132km (tar)
    Day 15 – Monday 12 July - Lay Day / Sightseeing around Alice Springs

If you had family that flew in to Yulara, they could fly home from Alice Springs.

Note, if you only have three weeks to spare and wish to return to Sydney early - you MAY choose to return direct:
    Either Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Mildura, Wagga Wagga = 2773km
    Or Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Broken Hill, Cobar, Dubbo = 2784km
    Either way 4 to 5 days depending on driving style. Total = 19 or 20 Days Sydney to Sydney.

But, we’d much rather that everyone continue on for:

Part 3 – Alice Springs to the The Dinosaur Trail
    Day 16 – Tuesday 13 July - Alice Springs to The Gemtree via the Plenty Hwy - 137km (tar)
    Day 17 – Wednesday 14 July - The Gemtree to Tobermorey Station via Jervois - 421km (dirt)
    Day 18 – Thursday 15 July - Tobermorey Station to Boulia - 249km (dirt & tar)
    Day 19 – Friday 16 July - Boulia to Winton plus the Age of Dinosaurs Museum - 410km (tar)
    Day 20 – Saturday 17 July - Around Winton - the Dinosaur Stampede at Lark Quarry Conservation Park - 220km (tar)
    Day 21 – Sunday 18 July - Winton to Richmond - 229km (tar)
    Day 22 – Monday 19 July - Around Richmond - 50km (tar)
    Day 23 – Tuesday 20 July - Richmond to Hughenden and around town - 216km (tar)

If you have another three weeks to spare, from Hughenden, Di and John are going to head North and do Cape York!

Part 4 - Return to Sydney
    Day 24 – Wednesday 21 July - Hughendon to Longreach via Muttaburra – where the Muttaburrasaurus was found - 331km (tar)
    Day 25 – Thursday 22 July - Around Longreach - the Qantas Museum and the Stockman's Hall of Fame - 50km (tar)
    Day 26 – Friday 23 July - Longreach to Charleville - 516km (tar)
    Day 27 – Saturday 24 July - Charleville to Nyngan - 657km (tar)
    Day 28 – Sunday 25 July - Nyngan to Sydney - 554km (tar)

Total Distance Sydney to Sydney = 8100km
    Longest Distance Between Fuel Stations = Jervois to Boulia 470km

Please consider, and post up on this thread if you are would like to come. Several people have expressed interest in this trip, but this is the Definite list. If you would like more information, please PM me with your email address and I can send a full Itinerary. This is a long trip, and there will be some long days of driving. Given the tracks and distances we could manage 10 to 12 Jeeps.

Please PM me, or post on this thread if you have any questions.

Definites
    1. DaveG (Whole Trip)
    2. TimG (Whole Trip)
    3. GregD + 1
    4. KevinF (Whole Trip unless passenger can only do Parts 1 and 2)
    5. Nolan (Whole Trip)
    6. Eva + Chris (Whole Trip)
    7. JamesT and family (for Parts 1 and 2 return home from Alice Springs)
    8. BigRig - Raja - and family (for Part 2 Yulara to Alice Springs)
    9. AdrianB

Expressed Interest/ Maybes
    Wayne & Julie
    Roya
    Sean
    Hunno
    Mal & Kim

Dru & Kerry (Dino trail only)
    Joe & Sue (Dino trail only - will make own bookings)

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 20-01-21 at 02:55 PM.

Club Member

Hi Dave

Add me in

Your just amazing - fantastic organizer.
    This could turn into a profession

The last trip was just amazing - just perfect

Cheers
    TG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Hi Dave

Add me in

Your just amazing - fantastic organizer.
    This could turn into a profession

The last trip was just amazing - just perfect

Cheers
    TG

Done Tim! It was (and will be) great to have you along! We had a great crew for two weeks!
    Dave

Dave, Sue and I are interested but it is too early to commit regards Joe

Default Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – June and July 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    Dave, Sue and I are interested but it is too early to commit regards Joe
    No worries, added to the maybes. It is a long way off, and the way things are at the moment, we can only hope that we will be able to go! I’ll track down your email and send a copy of the itinerary.

Interest at tonight's meeting from Eva, Sean and Hunno. Itineraries sent and names added to lists

Put us down as maybes as well Dave, Bec is keen, how much is National Park? I know Kings Canyon and Yulara are, not sure on the rest, thinking of the 4th furry member of the family.

Cheer
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Put us down as maybes as well Dave, Bec is keen, how much is National Park? I know Kings Canyon and Yulara are, not sure on the rest, thinking of the 4th furry member of the family.

Cheer
    Steve
    Added as maybes. I’ll send you an Itinerary later (it’s not on my phone). Good question about national parks. Dalhousie springs is, but you could skip it and go straight to Mt Dare. Chambers Pillar is, but you could go on to Uluru a day early and do more there - lots of cultural 'stuff' for families and children.
    Uluru is, but Yulara (where everyone stays) isn’t. Think Kings Canyon similar. And we stay in towns on the Dino trail, so all should be manageable.
    Thanks
    Dave

Last edited by Dave; 06-08-20 at 11:28 AM.

The first bit of possible bad news in relation to this trip, and I can hardly believe that States and Territories are forecasting this far out, but in the news today (11 August 20)

Northern Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner has revealed he will keep the Territory’s border guarded for at least another 18 months from Tuesday and recruit extra police to keep the barriers in place.
    Currently, anyone coming from Sydney or Victoria must complete two weeks quarantine at their own expense if they want to enter the territory, and everyone must fill in a border declaration pass.
    Mr Gunner told ABC 24 the list of banned states and territories was more likely to increase than decrease, and 18 months was a “conservative” estimate for when the borders would be wide open again.
    “We have got an indefinite ban on Victoria, and Sydney keeps bubbling away to a point to I can’t give you a date where that would ever lift,” he said.

Obviously if the NT does not open by July 2021, we would not be able to run the trip as planned - no Chambers Pillar, Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs or Plenty Highway.
    If South Australia and Queensland open, and I guess those are also big 'ifs' then we could cobble together the 2020 planned trip through South Australia or even a "fourth time lucky" K1 Line / Simpson Desert as that doesn't enter the NT, then run north from Birdsville to the Dinosaur Trail...

I really hope (as does the PM) that we get some certainty by the start of next year!

We wait and see I guess,

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 14-08-20 at 06:51 AM.

I wouldn’t worry too much yet Dave...they’ll have a vaccine in 6 months time....[emoji847][emoji2958]