Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – 28 June to 25 July 2021

Quote Originally Posted by isherz View Post
    I wouldn’t worry too much yet Dave...they’ll have a vaccine in 6 months time....[emoji847][emoji2958]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We can hope!! [emoji40]

Got another 'maybe' after the meeting last night, brings us to 7 definites and 8 maybes! (although I guess we are all a bit maybe until we know whether we can travel...)

10 months today (3 Sept) with any luck we will be driving in to Dalhousie Springs!

Dave

Default Central Australia and The Dinosaur Trail – June and July 2021

An update today, one off the Maybe list and on to the Definites.

Things are still in the maybe's as far as borders go, although we would be okay if we were going to South Australia today. Hopefully the NT and Qld will open by the start of next year!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 07-10-20 at 07:10 PM.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    An update today, one off the Maybe list and on to the Definites.

Things are still in the maybe's as far as borders go, although we would be okay if we were going to South Australia today. Hopefully the NT and Qld will open by the start of next year!

Dave
    As per email, we are maybes. Can you send us the itinerary please? Also do we need to think about mods to the WK2 and will the trip suit off-road camper?

Quote Originally Posted by MalWilson View Post
    As per email, we are maybes. Can you send us the itinerary please? Also do we need to think about mods to the WK2 and will the trip suit off-road camper?

Hi Mal,

Thanks and added to the maybe list! I got your reply email last night after I sent the Itinerary, but no previous one that I could find. The meetings are still good for catching up!

As Di mentioned, the longer touring trips should not need major mods. I would at the very least suggest good all terrain tires as stony roads can destroy passenger tires. As per normal club trip requirements, front and rear recovery points and recovery gear. While this trip should be mostly D grade (the hill in and out of Chambers Pillar can be a challenge) there is always the possibility of an unexpected sand trap out there. Well set up off road camper should be fine with similar preparation.

Hope that helps, now we just need some borders to open!

Dave

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Dave, I’m looking at doing the dinosaur section. Possibly from Boulia. Can you add us as interested?

Dru and Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Dave, I’m looking at doing the dinosaur section. Possibly from Boulia. Can you add us as interested?

Dru and Kerry
    Done Dru. Going to continue with Di up to Cape York?

Hi All,

I know we are still 7 months from heading off on this Trip, but I am starting to think about making bookings, and in fact I have made my first one just now.

Our one "Book in Advance" National Park stay is at Dalhousie Springs on the Western edge of the Simpson Desert in South Australia.
    We will be there on Saturday night 3 July 2021 and if you are DEFINITELY coming you can book and pay for your Vehicle Access and Camping online now. https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/booking/...s#/accom/73186
    It is $27.50 per vehicle/site, and Dalhousie does fill up, so I'd recommend booking ASAP.

The other National Park campsite we will use is Chambers Pillar in the Northern Territory. No bookings, free camping!

Everywhere else we are planning to stay will be a commercial campsite or caravan park. I plan to get in and book those in January. Hopefully none of them will need individual payments in advance, but I'll let you know

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 09-11-20 at 04:14 PM.

That's an awesome itinerary Dave.
    I will freight my Jeep to Uluru and fly there with family. We will return from Ayers Rock by road.

Hope that works.
    Last edited by Dave; 01-01-21 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRig View Post
    That's an awesome itinerary Dave.
    I will freight my Jeep to Uluru and fly there with family. We will return from Ayers Rock by road.

Hope that works.
    I’m not sure I understood all that. Okay, freight the Jeep to Yulara, that’s clear. But would you be driving straight home from Yulara? Or coming in to Alice Springs and the Dinosaur Trail with us?
    If you’re only spending the two nights with us at Yulara, why not fly in and get a rental car to drive home? Probably a lot cheaper...
    If you’re coming the rest of the way, and on up to Cape York Then awesome! Great idea!!
    Dave