Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Awaba to Drury Lane - Watagans: 20 Feb 21

Trip Coordinator/Association Delegate Dru's Avatar

Default Awaba to Drury Lane - Watagans: 20 Feb 21

EDIT UPDATE - I am not worried about Covid and border closure etc at the moment. There is plenty of time for this to reopen,re-close and reopen! I'll just monitor as we get get closer. BUT I will drop the Brisbane Jeep Club as a joint venture - hard to convince northerners out of God's country at the moment.

This trip is basically as per here: http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showth...September-2018

My intention is firstly to encourage potential trip leaders to pick up this trip and to run it going forward. Kerry and I would like to see this one become an SJC staple without us having to return from Brisbane! Unfortunately I will be running solo as the trip becomes a 4 day exercise and she is saving holidays for the cape trip. We might look to a couple of "pow wows" on the way to discuss trip leading and hopefully to answer any queries sensibly.

Of course you are welcome to join the trip as a newcomer and set aside thoughts of trip leading at the moment - though trip leaders will be bumped up the list.

My intention is to also offer this trip to the Brisbane Jeep Club - though I dont expect to pick up many lunatics willing a 4 day journey for a day trip. For what it is worth I'll be camping somewhere on Saturday evening (maybe the Basin) and look to another trip on Sunday targeting >B grade. [Details when I have a better idea from Brisbane Jeepers.]

WHERE: WATAGANS

WHEN:
    Saturday 20th February 2021

MEET:
    The Shell servo at Freeman's Waterhole

Less than 2 hours drive north from Sydney on the Motorway.
    Address: Shell Servo, 890 Freeman's Drive, Freemans Waterhole, NSW2323

Departure Time:
    9:00am for departure at 9:20 sharp. Please fuel before departure. Please target 9:00 and note I wont be hanging around for stragglers, we will be lining up before the 9:20 roll call for departure.

Grade: C+

I haven't run this trip for a while and don't have the chance to reccie from Brisbane, so conditions could be varied. As designed and run previously this trip can be considered absolutely appropriate for Grand Cherokee WKII but is going to require some actual driving through challenges. Enough to keep Wranglers on their toes. There are long sections of graded trail that link together highlight driving challenges as we start north and end up south of the Watagans. Please note that parts of the Watagans have historically been very scratchy and I do not avoid them.

REQUIREMENTS:
    Standard SJC rqts - recovery points front and rear (no exceptions), recovery gear, radio, food/drink, first aid kit, sunscreen, camera. Otherwise stock Jeep is fine.

NUMBERS: I'm OK for it to build a little as it is a trip leader event and I'd expect we can split the group if needed - or more likely run a "piggy in the middle" as well as tail. Will monitor as we go forward.

Attending:

1. Dru: JKU
    2. TL: SnakeDocter - Martin: JKU.
    3. TL: Rich Henning: JKU
    *TL bump
    *TL bump
    *TL bump
    4. Joe98 - Joe: JK
    5. NegDriver - Tam: JKU
    6. Di/John - JK
    7. RDO401 - Ed JK
    8. Roya - Roya and Barbara - JK
    9. Jetkev - Kev: WK2
    10. Bigrig - Raja - JK?
    11. Charith - JLU
    12. Khaled WK2
    13. Qaanita

Please indicate your vehicle and if you want to be bumped up the list your interest in trip leading.
    *TL: nominated trip leader
    Last edited by Dru; 02-01-21 at 09:15 PM.

In and I'll be able to lead a trip for SJC afterwards.

Let me know if you want a quick reccie done of any sections Dru - can send me a description or GPX and i'll work through it.

Last time (~ 4 months ago) after some big rain the section of track from Freemans Waterhole to into Watagans (via bike park) had some fun parts.
    Martin H. | 2014 JK Unlimited (white) | 2015 Grand Cherokee (max. steel)

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
    In and I'll be able to lead a trip for SJC afterwards.

Let me know if you want a quick reccie done of any sections Dru - can send me a description or GPX and i'll work through it.

Last time (~ 4 months ago) after some big rain the section of track from Freemans Waterhole to into Watagans (via bike park) had some fun parts.
    The section you are describing is our entry point. Will take you up on reccie.

Dru

I too would like to join the trip and I too am happy to do a recce with you beforehand. I am retired so a week day is fine too.

Joe 2 Door JL stock standard Sport.

Please count me in. I've only done a couple of trips into the watagans and would like to see more of it.

Tam - JKU
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Tim Tam

Quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    I too would like to join the trip and I too am happy to do a recce with you beforehand. I am retired so a week day is fine too.

Joe 2 Door JL stock standard Sport.
    Your name is Joe, right? We might look into the reccie process, across the group - could be useful on it's own.

Cheers

Dru

Quote Originally Posted by Negdriver View Post
    Please count me in. I've only done a couple of trips into the watagans and would like to see more of it.

Tam - JKU
    Great Tam, list updated. Hopefully the trip should help you get your head around access points and main thoroughfares. After that - explore!

Dru

(Mine is a JL)

I have done done bushwalking and Jeeping in the Wattagans so happy to help with a recce

Secretary

Hi Dru. I’ll join thanks. And will pay attention for future trip leading. Don’t think I have done these tracks in the watagans actually.
    Will be nice to hang out too, been too long!

John n Di are in pending roster
    Looking forward to B day on Sunday
    We will camp with you overnight ... the Pines maybe?
    Black JK lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk