Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stockton Beach trip in Jan

overlander

Default Stockton Beach trip in Jan

Steve F and I are contemplating a trip to Stockton sometime in January. Either a day trip or a weekend with camping. Idea is to bring SO and kiddies along for a play on the beach and to have some 4wd fun on the dunes at the same time.... should we be talking to Antz about this since he
    's the c/d co-ordinator?

Just let me know if you have a date in mind and we can add it to the calender. I have never been to Stockton in the Jeep so I would be keen to go too.

Yep - never had the Grand on sand like Stockton. I'm interested to see how it goes with the NP247 (rear wheel drive - front on demand) and open diffs.....

Should be good in low range, which I wouldn't do Stockton without..... high range is just too much stress on the soft sand up there.

I would certainly be keen as well... although my January is looking a bit busy, but should be time for a bit of fourby fun in the sand

I'd probably just go for a day trip up there, it's a little to close to drag out the camping gear and it always seems windy up there In saying that though we could make it a Saturday trip and I'd be happy to show you the only semi secluded spot in the trees for those that might want to stay up there for the Saturday night.

It's a great spot for newbies and to drag kids along as the steep climbs and drops always provide a thrill

Chrispy, I used to run in high range until I got the taller tyres and now it's one of those places where it depends on the weather, a little rain and high range is easy, middle of Summer and no rain for a while and it's very powdery and hard going. Last time I went up it rained the day before and was like concrete in places.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Yeah - you are right Steve. As I mentioned before, it's very dry when there hasn't been any rain. High range is just pure folly IMHO in these circumstances. Too much strain on the engine to keep riding the crests in front of your tyres.

I usually used to camp in the hollow by the lake - turn right about 100m after exiting the car park at Lavis Lane and head over a couple of huge dunes to the bottom. Less wind, but i suspect that it's off limits now and the rangers will have you for lunch. There is always Anna Bay caravan park which has plenty of shaded camping out the back.....

That was the spot I was thinking of, is it near that old wooden hut in amongst the trees? Didn't know they'd restricted where you could camp now. Anna bay caraven park is probably the way to go if you dont like sand in everything

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevef
    That was the spot I was thinking of, is it near that old wooden hut in amongst the trees? Didn't know they'd restricted where you could camp now. Anna bay caraven park is probably the way to go if you dont like sand in everything

Cheers
    Steve
    Uhmm.. not sure about the hut. The entrance to place I'm speaking of is about a 100m up the road (heading up-hill and towards the beach - and way before the LHT onto the see-saw part of the track - you know the part I mean) from the car park at Lavis. Turn right off the road and negotiate a gap between some big logs they've put down to stop you ( :? ) and it's a fast run up the crest between dunes either side. As you head down, you'll see the lake slightly off to the left at the bottom. There is a bank of scrub on the other side of the lake (beach end) that shields you from most of the wind coming off the ocean. You never see anyone down there, so I think that's for a reason.

Ahhh, now I know where you mean, not the same place. The spot I'm thinking of is after you've taken the see-saw (I like that description) turnoff to the beach. You go around the first set of dunes and there's a small lake to the right at the base of a dune with a grove of trees to the right again. In there there is a small hut and some flat areas that are nice and sheltered. Normally I go there for lunch if it's windy and have seen people camping in there.

I know where you are now. Yup - I've always seen a camper or three there. It's a very popular spot in line with the markers down to the beach. If you ever come across it when it's free - I'd go for it. A bit public though.....