Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CB radios

Default Re: CB radios

cheers.
    any idea what the difference between the barrel and parallel spring bases are?
    im guessing one is stiffer than the other?

i got the answer just in case anyone else was interested:
    parallel springs are less flexible than barrel springs.

Quote Originally Posted by casey
    i got the answer just in case anyone else was interested:
    parallel springs are less flexible than barrel springs.
    Have you seen the barrel spring mount on the HEEP?
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Visitor

Default CB radios

Since we are on the subject - does anyone want to part with their old radio? I am interested in buying a second hand unit, try them out, and then decide what to buy - new.
    I like to try and test things before I spend considering they are exactly cheap.
    Any suggestion would be welcomed.
    TK

to start off with, we just bought a $30 handheld from jaycar, after a year or so its still going fine, although we're looking to get a UHF installed in the jeep after coffs.

Yeah i just started off with 2 1W handhelds. Ive had them for a few years and still going strong.

having said that though i just bought a fixed unit. the handhelds did all that i asked of them but I wanted to give a fixed unit a go.

Visitor

Default CB radios - Jaycar catalogue...

Hey, that is so strange... I am the Jaycar Engineering catalogue designer... and I have never looked inside. That is so stupid... I do the designs, the photo shoots, the product selection for the sections, the type concepts, the marketing lines, and I have never ever looked inside for a CD radio.
    I can even buy them cheap - hell, I am so stupid. I'll go and get the latest catalogue... and open one up for once!
    TK

Visitor

Default CB radios from the catalogue...

I'll just spend the next two hours browsing in the catalogue for things - and tell my manager I am doing research - and I won't get into trouble... how cool.

Visitor

Default CB radios question...

OK... this is what I found out after reading - there is a difference between UHF and HF radios... but, what do we use and what is the preferred radio for what we do?
    I have the opportunity to buy a 5 watt HF 40 Channel CB - but the model is very old - works well, but, it's not the UHF kind that we all talk about.
    If I get it, can I tune in to the channel we use at t he club?
    TK

Default Re: CB radios question...

Quote Originally Posted by TK421
    OK... this is what I found out after reading - there is a difference between UHF and HF radios... but, what do we use and what is the preferred radio for what we do?
    I have the opportunity to buy a 5 watt HF 40 Channel CB - but the model is very old - works well, but, it's not the UHF kind that we all talk about.
    If I get it, can I tune in to the channel we use at t he club?
    TK
    HF is totally different to UHF and no use on trips where you just want to chat with the rest of the group. HF runs at 3Mhz to 30Mhz, UHF is 300Mhz to 3000Mhz so nowhere near each other. HF is typically for long range stuff like 3000km and UHF short range like 0-10km. So we use UHF, cheap and free usage etc.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076