Thread: new to jeep and looking at buying one

Default new to jeep and looking at buying one

Hi Guys

Looking at buying my first TJ, previously a Nissan Patrol man which was stolen and in return I bought a WRX (which to this day I don?t why I guess I had to have one sooner or later) any how the TJ that I found is a MY05 with 43000km 26k the extras are a hard top cruise control in a 6 speed manual Renegade

What?s the diff between a renegade and a sport any way

Any thing that I should be looking out for?

Great site and look forward on joining the club

Hey Hak,

Being an XJ person, not really sure of exact differences between renegade and sports, I think it is just a spec level (renegade higher), have to wait for one of the more informed to respond.

I guess its just the normal stuff to look for, look under for obvious signs of off-road abuse, any leaks under the hood etc... They are a pretty tough vehicle though, good luck with it if you decide to go ahead.

I did it I bought a 96 Grand Cherokee for $10,000 I wanted a Wrangler and the wife wanted a Pajero we agreed to meet in the middle and bought a Grand Cherokee previously we owned a Nissan Patrol which had minor mods and found it capable but we found it to expensive to go rock hopping coming home with a new dent every excursion

I have no idea how capable the Cherokee will be but im working on 4.5 inch lift striaght away

Anonymous

The newer shape WJ wouldve been better but any grand is good enough welcome to the world of jeeps.

Default Hak ZJ Grand

Hi Hak,
    Welcome to the Jeep world. ZJ's are very capable off-road but we have some limitations and how they can be modified for off road use without comprimising on road driveability ( drive line vibes,etc). We have "low" pinion diff's vrs "high" pinion one's on TJ's and we also have a c/v front drive shaft which can go "bang" as mine did but can be replaced with double cardigan ones (not cheap).No body lift due to monoq? car like frame.F/Disconnects are/make a lot of difference to off-road use & lockers f/r makes life easier as you would know. Body armour/rails saves a lot of damage to rails etc ( one day ). Increasing tyre size creates its own little needs ( a steering block--a couple of washers worth--- to reduce the problem) and if you want to go bigger than 31's you need to start cutting.
    Anyway Hak, donn't let me put you off. I like mine and it has gone to good places where it has amazed some Toyo drivers when I asked them if they needed help to get pass/over/ & through some the spots where they were stuck.
    So come to club meet and should be seeing you on the tracks soon I expect.
    Stephen T.
    JC Member# 094