Thread: Installing Tyre Pressure monitors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Installing Tyre Pressure monitors

Hi Guyz
    I am loving my new tyre dogs - Pressure & Temperature monitoring (realtime)

I added the monitors to hopefully save destroying an expensive tyre or two whilst wheelin - I have programmed the monitors for on road and off road;

On road the low pressure alarm is set to activate when a tyre falls below 30psi and I usually run between 32 & 35psi

Off road I set the alarm to a couple of psi below my aired down pressure ; if I am on sand and am running 12psi I set the alarm to 10psi

Hopefully this will allow me time to pull over and fix a leak before I have chance to shred them driving on a flat tyre - as all of you know its hard sometimes to know when you have a flat especially if you are in MUD!

I bought the tyre dogs that screw onto the valve stem - dumb@ss I hear some of you saying already.

Why;
    1. I wanted to be able to remove them and use them on hire vehicles.

2. They are coded to the wheel position so if (and I always do at half way) I changed the front tyres to the back - didnt want to have to break the tyre bead. just to relocate the monitors.

3. I often tow a trailer and will take the front 2 off and put on the trailer when towing - as you all know when the trailer starts to feel a little soft / bungee to tow its too late - tyre already shreaded.

Tip
    When I screwed them onto the valve they protruded past the sidewall of the tyre - this was clearly going to be a bad idea for serious wheelin so I took another handful of smart@ss pills and modified my rims!

I found a wheel mod friendly tyre store and had them remove my tyres and drill 4 additional valve stem sized holes and installed 4 extra valve stems - 1 in each rim! as close to the centre of the rim and as far as possible away wheelin danger.

Bonus
    Not having to remove them & replace them everytime I wanted to Air Down & Air Up
    I can now air up with the Mrs comfortable in the car with aircon on - all she has to do is toot the horn when the tyres are back to road pressure - I don't have to continuously check the pressure - can do other things like reconnect my sway bars, wipe mud from lights and number plates etc
    Enjoy Cheers Hunty

ps
    15.7l/100 is what I get towing a car trailer
    Last edited by Hunty; 25-01-11 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added reason for poor economy
    Luv My Jeep!