Thread: Water in petrol

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Water in petrol

Tuesday 03/09 filled the jeep with petrol and drove 4.3km home no problem evident. The Jeep was not used until Wednesday evening.
    Set off on a 35km journey to Regents Park to attend the AGM. Approx half way there the car starts to cough and shudder but only intermitantly. Coming through Lidcombe it is coughing and now backfiring and the engine light comes on, only to go out a few seconds
    later, this happens several times.

We leave the meeting, with a few coughs and splutters, nothing really dramatic. We now get onto the M4 and it starts to really cough, only the engine light comes on and stays on. We decide to press on and try to make it home, as between coughing fits the car is running fine. At home I tried cycling the ignition switch on/off several times to extinguish the engine light, but to no avail.

Thursday morning I obtain 5ltr. of metho and being unsure just how much water there is in the fuel tank pour the lot in. This seems to have cured the problem.
    Also I disconnected the accessories, ie. dashcam, GPS etc. and flashed the computer, by disconnecting the wiring from the pos.+ terminal of the battery, then shorting the wiring across to the neg.- terminal, this discharges all the capacitors in the computer and resets it back to standard. This then extinguishes the engine light. Just reconnect every thing and reset the clock, all should be normal.

For those of you that don't know, the metho mixes with the water and enables it to be burnt.

The service station concerned and their head office have been notified. Since I have only bought fuel from one service station for the last 6 months it was easy to pinpoint the source of the contaminated fuel.
    Last edited by Bear; 08-09-13 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo